HELP soundblaster live + mixer = trouble!

PoolGuyTim

Please help me if you can. i have a small Behringer mixer (mx602a), and all my guitar work sounds like crap. I

tried to read the featured post about this but it s incomplete for my problem.

i have a sure mic that goes from XLR to 1/4" plug--is this my problem??

And what is this midi adapter mentioned--will this adapter give me a better sound quality?

I am very good at pc's --in fact i built this one myself, But, this Home Recording is a new world to me - i just want this thing to work!!
Thanks!!
PoolGuyTim

sounds like you are miking an amp.

Shure mic to Beh602a should give you a decent result.

Toss away that XLR-1/4" cable and get a real mike cable(XLR-XLR).

Then plug your mic to Channel 1 or 2 and try to get a good level at your recorder. Put the mic against the amp grill and record away!

Thanks for the quick reply,
do you think my distorted sound is from the impedance of the mic with that adaper??

ok----now what??

i checked out the back at my sound card
and i am using the line in,
so it must be my mic cable then huh?

actually, I think you still can get a usable sound with the 1/4" connection.

Does you guitar sound through the mic sounds ok before going into your PC? (use headphone to verify)

What software are you using to record your guitar BTW?

Hmmpf... Hmmmpf...

How is your mixer connected to the computer? Tape Out to Line In? Main Mix to Line In? These are the only possibilities that really should work.

Also, check if the cables going into the computer are ok.
Check out the recording level on AudioTools (If you're in the red zone, then that's your problem).
If you can post a short sample, it might be easier to identify the source of the problem.

BTW, the XLR-1/4" can work ok. on the short run, but since you have XLR inputs on the mixer, there's no need to use a cable that can (an eventually will) cause problems.

Oren

I Sincerely appreciate everyones help in this matter!

i have since posting here, purchased a USB audio capture "thingy" and let me tell you WHAT A DIFFERANCE!!

It cost me about $80 (ouch!!) but in the end i found it to be well worth it!!

Thanks again,
until my next "hang up" on the recording side of life!

many, many thanks!!

Tim

Back