HELP! Sonar 2XL can't use Delta WDM drivers

MrLip

This is driving me nuts.

I'm running Sonar 2XL on WinXP Pro with a Delta 1010 audio interface.

When I try to use the Delta WDM drivers, I get no audio output from Sonar, nothing even registers in the meters (both the meters on Delta control panel and in Sonar). Also, I cannot 'start audio engine.' When I click the icon to turn it on, it disengages immediately. It will not stay engaged.

My Soundblaster Live WDM works fine, (except that the latency is high, sounds like crap, doesn't support 24-bit.)

From Audio options, everytime I enable the Delta WDM drivers, as soon as I close the options window, the audio driver error window will pop up "The following drivers either do not support the current audio format or are in use by another program." Listed are my Delta drivers. They should support the audio format (44.1kHz/16-bit) and I have no other programs open. This error should not be occuring.

The thing is that, they USED TO work. In fact, it used to work perfectly. But now, I can't get the Delta WDM drivers to work at all.

However, the Delta MME drivers (select "always use MME...") do work. But this gives me high latency (not good because I use softsynths.)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Sonar. No change.

I've tried using older versions of the Delta drivers. No change.

It just really bugs me that it USED to work fine and even my SB Live works, and now I've got a $600 piece of equipment that doesn't work with Sonar (Another note: it works fine with ASIO programs such as Cubase SX and Logic Audio.)

What should I do? I emailed M-Audio but no response. I'm in Asia and can't afford a long distance phone call.

I'm ready to reinstall WinXP and all my software but that's gonna take lots of time. I'm in the middle of a project have other projects waiting to get started too, what should I do???

Help!

Sounds to me like another program might be nabbing your soundcard drivers and won't let them go. What other sound apps do you have loaded on your machine that has soundcard config menus?

In Options>Audio>drivers, what do you have listed and highlighted? In General, is the "share drivers with other Apps" box checked?

Thanks for the reply.

I get the error regardless of whether or not the "Share drivers" box is checked.

If I do not open the 'audio options' window, the error message box will not come up. However I get no audio output.

After opening the "audio options" window to check the audio configuration, when closing it, the audio driver error message will occur.

It doesn't really make sense to me and I don't know what to do aside from reinstalling EVERYTHING (which I'd prefer not to do)

Mr Lip, I have found some WDM drivers want certain resources on a computer and will not happily co-exist with other WDM drivers. I suspect that if you disable your SB live! WDM drivers that your Delta WDM drivers will work.

Goto Start/settings/control panel/system/hardware/ device manager under sounds video and game controllers and find Creative SB live WDM driver. Click on Creative SB live/properties/audio devices. Click on the disable tab. Reboot. See if that works.

are u sure u uninstalled ur WDM driver properly they have a file on their website which for unistallin delta drivers, if not dl that file uninstall the drivers and reinstall the latest ones

I think johnjoe is on the right track here, it sounds like another sound app program is kidnapping your wdm drivers, so they are not available to Sonar. Try disabling them in the s/blaster as he suggests and then post back.

OK. Some success but I still get the same problem. Here's what happened:

I tried what johnhoe suggested which DID get my Delta WDM drivers working in Sonar again.

BUT I lost my SBLive UART as well as my Delta MIDI port.

I tried fiddling with settings, enabling/disabling MIDI/audio ports in the device manager, and after doing that, I managed to get my Delta MIDI port back, but I was back with the same problem: "Audio error: the following drivers either do not support the current audio configuration or are in use by another program"

So, based on johnhoe's suggestion, I tried removing the SBLive completely by physically removing it from my computer. To my dismay, no improvement. No audio output from Sonar, audio engine icon will not stay engaged, and when I open the audio options window and click OK (even without making any changes): "Audio error..."

This is very frustrating. I have had no problems with other audio applications.

You delete the aud.ini file? That will wipe whatever settings existed and force Sonar to re-detect hardware and run wave profiler.

Is the sample rate in the delta panel the same as your Sonar project?
If you update drivers for a delta card - you should use the deltauninstall utility. You can download the latest one if you check "show beta and previous versions" in the m-audio driver search page.
Also the delta panels patchbay can trip you up.
Ensure the output port that Sonar is using is patched to the appropriate hardware output.
Run Sonars options/ audio/ wave profiler after making any changes in delta panel and do those with Sonar closed.
Make sure the delta is not set for external s/pdif clock - check internal xtal.

brzilian said:
You delete the aud.ini file? That will wipe whatever settings existed and force Sonar to re-detect hardware and run wave profiler.

Will manually running the wave profiler rewrite the audio.ini, or is it best to delete it and let Sonar do it auto?

Will manually running the wave profiler rewrite the audio.ini, or is it best to delete it and let Sonar do it auto?
In some cases it might work just to run the Wave Profiler, but not always...

Mr Lipp, This could be a computer resource problem. I have some suggestions:-

1) In the bios under integrated perepherals disable any com ports not needed. These can free up interrupts.
2) Under bios toggle the PNP OS (yes/no). This can enable/disable Windowsxp from organising the resources.
3) Check that the Creative card and the Delta card are not eg sharing the same memory location (220H, 240H,330H) for midi.
4) If all else fails clean reinstall of OS may solve problem (a bit drastic I know but I know of a few cases of card sharing probs where this has solved the problem)

johnhoe said:
Mr Lipp, This could be a computer resource problem. I have some suggestions:-

1) In the bios under integrated perepherals disable any com ports not needed. These can free up interrupts.
2) Under bios toggle the PNP OS (yes/no). This can enable/disable Windowsxp from organising the resources.
3) Check that the Creative card and the Delta card are not eg sharing the same memory location (220H, 240H,330H) for midi.
4) If all else fails clean reinstall of OS may solve problem (a bit drastic I know but I know of a few cases of card sharing probs where this has solved the problem)

He said the problem is only in Sonar, not Cubase or Logic. I doubt its a hardware conflict problem

Yes but....
Its only SONAR that uses WDM drivers out of the three. As you well know Bzilian, drivers use hardware resources ie interrupts and memory locations. I am not at all putting my eggs in the Hardware problem basket, I am simply saying that I believe it may be a RESOURCE ALLOCATION problem ie a combination of both software and hardware. Also if you read my last post more carefully (options 2 and 4) you will see I am not simply blaming the problem on a hardware conflict so I don't understand your post.

johnhoe: you seem to konw your stuff. thanks for all the info.

here's something i discovered:

I completely (physically) removed the SBLive and I still couldn't get WDM to work, so I went in search of other conflicts.

Checking in the Device manager, I found that my Delta and my Display card share the same IRQ. I tried moving the Delta to a different PCI slot, but the IRQ in windows' device manager stays the same, and I can't figure out how to change it.

Any suggestions?

Have you disabeled ACPI mode?

Read here on how to do that. ACPI could make all your hardware (almost) use IRQ 9, 11 or something like that.

Here Here you'll find a post of how do disable PCI steering.

I know it's a little late to respond to this thread, but since I don't see anything about this problem actually being resolved, I'll go ahead and respond for other people's future refrence...

I had this same problem. SB card took priority of Sonar's WDM settings. I uninstalled *BOTH* of the soundcards drivers in the System/Hardware control panel, then physically removed the SB card after shutting down the computer. After the Delta card drivers are reloaded, checking the 'Muitimedia/Device' properties panel should show the Delta card as "WDM".

Now you have to re-run Sonar's device profiler setup. It should now give the Delta card WDM priority, cuz the SB card is nowhere to be found. Once that's done, you can reinstall the SB card.

Back