Help setting a midi to use soundfonts in cakewalk!!!

AudioWebs

So I bring a midi file into cakewalk. I have a soundfont I want to use for it.

How do I assign the soundfont to it? All I can get is a list of the midi packs already there, but how do I do this?

Thanks!

What are you going to use to play the Sound Font? Live Pro Synth DXi? SoundBlaster Live card? Something else.

It makes a difference.

Each midi track requires a corresponding audio track with a soft synth you want to use as a sound source. You put the softsynth on the audio track then point the midi track to that audio track and you will hear the sound.

If you are using hardware as a sound source i.e. a soundblaster card, then you just need to point to the soundblaster from the midi track and the audio track is not required.

dachay2tnr's question is pointed at trying to find our if you are using a soundblaster or a soft synth as a sound source for your midi track.

The soundfont is loaded either into your sound card or soft synth in a bank location so the midi track can get access to it.

Clear as mud?

If you have a SoundBlaster Live or Audigy, there's a SoundFonts item on the Options menu in SONAR... click Attach from the dialog box and you can browse to the location where it's stored on your drive.

In the Track settings for your MIDI track, set the output port to one of the SB MIDI Synth choices (A or B; I think only A works on the Live for SoundFonts). The Channel List should show SoundFont Device afdter each channel number. The Bank list should show a default bank and Bank 1 should be labeled with the name of your SoundFont (if you loaded more than one earlier they should all show up in this list). Then select the Patch from the Patch list. One final caveat -- you might need to fiddle a little with the Bank Select Method if the MIDI sound doesn't seem to change from what it was. The choices are Normal, Controller 0, Controller 32, and Patch 100.. (this might not be an issue any more with the Audigy card).

I installed virtual sampler but don't get it in my hs 2002 midi devices.

I am hopeless as to understanding this vst, dxi, soundfont midi crap.

Seems I cannot get sufficient answers.

Back