help regarding Ferguson 3204 Tape Machine

hugopresser

Hello,

someone might be able to give me a hand with this. I've just picked up an old Ferguson 3204 tape machine. It was cheap and isn't in the best condition, but the tapes are spinning and I'd like to import some of that into my computer set up.

On the back panel of the machine, this is what there is:
unnamed.jpg

I'd like to, if possible, put some of my tracks from Ableton onto the tape, and import them back into the computer, and I'm a bit unsure as to what those inputs stand for.
I'm sorry if this is frustrating or has been covered and im about to get a slew of angry nerds (i am one) telling me i've posted in the wrong place or something..

I have a USB capture card which I often use for video, and I thought maybe I could import using this.

There is also a microphone input on the top of the deck, which looks like this:

micinput.jpg

Does anyone know, is this a common microphone input? Would it be possible for me to grab something that works with this?

thanks for your time, and i apologize in advance if this has somehow sent someone into a fury.

I'm unfamiliar with this type of recorder but I did some investigative work and found some possible answers or at least leads that may help you..... These look like 4 RCA type connectors (Radio Input / Pick Up Input ----- Radio Output / Loud Speaker Output). I'm unsure if these can be used as regular RCA input / output. Will need someone who can correct or clarify. The microphone Input ---- this looks like a DIN input. See discussion about this here: Ferguson 3226 reel to reel mic input - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

Be aware that this is quite likely a mono tape deck, almost certainly low-speed. It's a cheap mid-1960s consumer deck. Assuming it's in good operating condition you might be able to get some interesting processing effects out of it, but you're not exactly going to be mixing down to it.

Back