Help Reducing Garage Door Noise Leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianchang

Hi,

I've recently moved my rock band's jam space to my garage. There are two windows and one regular door that I sealed up with cardboard (it seemed to helped a little bit with sound).

Now my neighbor across the street is finding our practice session too loud. I suspect the big garage door is the main issue.

I read a few forums that indicated building a room inside a room is the only way to soundproof. I don't need to fully soundproof the garage, but just want to reduce the noise leakage to the outside as much as I can without paying a lot of money. My garage is fully finished with dry walls and one vent above the garage door for air.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I build some portable walls and lay it in front of garage door would help?

I so, what's the best material and method you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Julian

Garage Door Type

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the garage door is a roll up type. I'd like to be able to have panels in front of it that I can remove to open the door.

Good luck

I suspect that even if you can reduce some of the leakage from the door, a full on band with drums and all is still going to bleed out the rest of the structure. You can affix rigid fiberglass isulation to the panels of the garage door but I doubt that this will give you the attenuation you seek. I am sure there is plenty of bleed else where.

As a teenager we used to practice in a basement with a stone foundation. There were no window or doors to the outside and we insulated the wall that faced the rest of the basement and ceiling. We still managed to bother the neighbors.

Don
Folkcafe

Hello
There are two windows and one regular door that I sealed up with cardboard (it seemed to helped a little bit with sound).

"Seemed" is key word. btw, As to cardboard, the key word is "useless".

Now my neighbor across the street is finding our practice session too loud.
Seems as though your evaluation of your efforts to seal the doors and windows was premature.:)

I suspect the big garage door is the main issue.
First off, my disclaimer. These are only opinions. Because every case has its own limitations and specifics, there are no TEMPORARY curealls for every situation..
Not really. You could build a massive wall in front of it with a transmission loss of 70 and STILL bother your neighbors. The key words here are "flanking paths" and "weak link". Why build ANYTHING if you ignor the rest of the structure...ie...open cielings to the roof membrane, hollow core doors, windows, walls with little mass...etc etc etc.

In reality, Folkcafe hit it on the nailhead.
I am sure there is plenty of bleed else where.

The truth is, first off, there is no such thing as "soundproof". Only degrees of transmission loss. Starting with a building envelope like a garage is not only difficult, when faced with no budget, restricted building alteration, and little understanding of the principles involved, you are doomed from the start. Especially trying to isolate a full on rock band from close adjacent neighbors.
Frankly, under these circumstances, there are NO temporary wall schemes, gobos, sealing measures or anything else that will keep high volume, low frequencies from escaping. Sorry, but thats the truth.

Yes, you can do things to help, but when push comes to shove, if your band is playing at typical rock SPL's, the proof is in the pudding.

The ONE thing that is your only recourse is.........turn the volume down.;)

HOWEVER, should you embark on a path to successfully ISOLATE the interior of your space from the outside world, one of the best things you can do is buy Rod Gervais book....HOME RECORDING STUDIOS..BUILD IT LIKE THE PROS!

And in that regard, here is a few .jpgs of a typical roll up door(actually 2 in these pics), and how to build a wall that interfaces the existing wall and ceiling. HOWEVER, if you were to endeavor to build a room within a room, this scenario is NOT appropriate. In fact, if you do, personally, I'd remove the garage doors, reframe the openings to seal these openings, and finish to match the existing facad, or something similar. This would at least make your exterior leaf at the doors match whatever the rest of the exterior leaf is. Not that your existing exterior leaf is up to snuff. Thats something that has to be addressed from the getgo. And far to difficult to address now, or within the scope of a few forum replys. Thats why I suggest the book.

These are only to show ONE solution to beefing up this area of a garage, when beefing up an existing INTERIOR LEAF. Suffice to say, this is only ONE of the issues that must be addressed.
is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

fitZ:)

Theres a video on youtube for how to make a Sound wall.... Its cheap as hell and it will muffle the sound greatly for about $100 and you can just move it when your not using it.... Make 2 of them and your set bro.

Theres a video on youtube for how to make a Sound wall.... Its cheap as hell and it will muffle the sound greatly for about $100 and you can just move it when your not using it.... Make 2 of them and your set bro.
When the neighbors call the police, tell em to call gethypedmusic .:rolleyes:

What makes you think the rest of the envelope is brick. Now really dipshit, why would you tell someone to go to the expense of filling in an opening the size of a garage door with brick, if the rest of the structure was something you have no goddamn idea what its made of? Geeeezusfuckinghchrist................guys, this goes to show you some of the people on this bbs are so full of shit sometimes.!

little pig, little pig.......is it a straw house?

What's your problem Rick? How do you know it isn't a brick built/precon block garage?

You prove yourself over and over you are the biggest dipshit on the board. The guy is using cardboard for christ sake and you throw up half a dozen cad drawings. Who is the dipshit? I think everyones experience here could be vastly improved by your complete and utter non existance, but hey...that's just MHO.

Go piss up a rope!

What makes you think the rest of the envelope is brick. Now really dipshit, why would you tell someone to go to the expense of filling in an opening the size of a garage door with brick, if the rest of the structure was something you have no goddamn idea what its made of? Geeeezusfuckinghchrist................guys, this goes to show you some of the people on this bbs are so full of shit sometimes.!

Calm down

Seiously Rick, tone it down. You over react like that for everything. We don't need that kind of response on the board. Say you disagree, prove your stance, but do so with civility.

I think everyones experience here could be vastly improved by your complete and utter non existance,
Ask those that DID take my advice. And MY plans. Like Myriadrocker.

Hey julianchang, on second thought, go ahead and listen to Lemon tree. Afterall, he's expert on transmission loss here. I'm absolutely positive he'll show you how to do everything...like this for instance...

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Hope you have a big budget though..and lots of experience in building transmission loss assemblies..and btw, hows you drafting skills...your gonna have to submit a set of drawings showing your plan complys with local codes...oh yea, what about mommies permission to void her homeowners insurance should you NOT get a permit and something happens...hmmm? Maybe call Lemon tree ? .:rolleyes:

Now, is that "civil" enough. Unfortunately, sometimes civility takes a back seat to getting someones attention.

Last edited:
Ask those that DID take my advice. And MY plans. Like Myriadrocker.

Hey julianchang, on second thought, go ahead and listen to Lemon tree. Afterall, he's this bbs expert on transmission loss. Hope you have a big budget though..and lots of experience in building transmission loss assemblies..and btw, hows you drafting skills...your gonna have to submit a set of drawings showing your plan complys with local codes...oh yea, what about mommies permission to void her homeowners insurance should you NOT get a permit and something happens...hmmm? Maybe call Lemon tree ? .:rolleyes:

Maybe we could just brick up your mouth to stop you spewing shit like this over and over again :confused:

Come on Mods, get this freak back on his leash :)

The guy is using cardboard for christ sake and you throw up half a dozen cad drawings.
And you tell him to brick up the opening and BUILD a room within a room.. hmmm, I'd say you couldn't get a clue if you drenched yourself in clue musk and did a clue mating dance in a field of clues. At least I addressed the MAIN problem.

Maybe we could just brick up your mouth to stop you spewing shit like this over and over again

yo, Mr. Subzero IQ, here is a 4 step program for cloaking your idiocy

Stupidity Stealth-Preventing Others From Thinking You're Stupid When You Clearly Are

Since you were physically unable to follow the 12 steps of destupification, then clearly you are an idiot among idiots. But don't
worry, as there are many ways to appear more clever than you really are. Scientists and renowned experts in the field of stupidity have found ways for people such as yourself to cloak your retardation in a gleaming mirage of intelligence. The following are the steps necessary for you to seem less stupid than you really are:

Don't make signs detailing your mentally retarded exploits by writing articles. Instead, make me a pie. I like pie

.Step 1. Don't say you're stupid

Having discovered your god-given sense of stupidity, your objective would be to prevent others from finding out your own
personal idiocy. Don't scream to the heavens, "I AM A STUPID!" by writing articles or make signs detailing your mentally retarded exploits. However, this will not alleviate your condition, nor make you look any more intelligent.

Step 2. Say you're smart

To look smart in front of your peers, you must first say that you are smart. Declare your intelligence in family gatherings, public
places, internet forums, and any site with a massive conglomeration of people. Saying that you are smart will convince people
of your intelligence, and prevent them from thinking that you are a tenth level idiot.

Step 3. Don't act dumb, act smart

Now that you have told people of your "intelligence", support your claims by acting accordingly. Resist the urge to urinate in
your trousers and use the restroom instead. Rather than reading Breathing For Dummies, read something intelligent such as
National Geographic or Discovery Magazine. While you're talking, tilt your head 45 degrees into the air with your eyes closed.

Act smug. Throw out as many smart-sounding six syllable words you can think of during a conversation. Spell check your documents and use the thesaurus as frequently as possible. Go to Starbucks, buy a coffee, and pretend to type something on your Mac (or better yet, work at Genius Bar) Doing this will further convince people that you do not have pig excrement for brains.

4.Step 4. Don't look dumb, look smart

To totally convince people that you lack mental stupidity, you must support your claims and acts of "intelligence" by your looks. Looking intelligent is easier than you might think. Like the Nazis and the KKK, intellectuals have developed a sort of fashion trend to help people identify themselves. Imitating this fashion trend would help people identify you as a smart person, when you clearly aren't. Instead of wearing only your undergarments, wear a lab coat. Decorate your pimple encrusted face with a pair of 6 inch glasses and equip your pockets with proper protection. Cover your frostbite ridden feet with a pair of shoes, and fill your pockets with pencils, calculators, and an assortment of scientific equipment. Once you are finished, those who see you will automatically think of you as a smart person, despite your subzero IQ.

Conclusion

Once you have completed these steps, people will no longer be able to detect your idiocy. Instead, all they will see is a
complete idiot who thinks that he can hide his stupidity with a bunch of cheap tricks.

My advice....TRY IT. Your are in stupidity denial. Your only hope is this program.

BTW, just out of curiosity, did your mother pinch your umbilical cord or did the best part of you run down her leg during that botched abortion? Not that it matters now. However this 4 step program may save the world from another of your declarations.

yo, Mr. Subzero IQ, here is a 4 step program for cloaking your idiocy

Stupidity Stealth-Preventing Others From Thinking You're Stupid When You Clearly Are

Since you were physically unable to follow the 12 steps of destupification, then clearly you are an idiot among idiots. But don't
worry, as there are many ways to appear more clever than you really are. Scientists and renowned experts in the field of stupidity have found ways for people such as yourself to cloak your retardation in a gleaming mirage of intelligence. The following are the steps necessary for you to seem less stupid than you really are:

Don't make signs detailing your mentally retarded exploits by writing articles. Instead, make me a pie. I like pie

.Step 1. Don't say you're stupid

Having discovered your god-given sense of stupidity, your objective would be to prevent others from finding out your own
personal idiocy. Don't scream to the heavens, "I AM A STUPID!" by writing articles or make signs detailing your mentally retarded exploits. However, this will not alleviate your condition, nor make you look any more intelligent.

Step 2. Say you're smart

To look smart in front of your peers, you must first say that you are smart. Declare your intelligence in family gatherings, public
places, internet forums, and any site with a massive conglomeration of people. Saying that you are smart will convince people
of your intelligence, and prevent them from thinking that you are a tenth level idiot.

Step 3. Don't act dumb, act smart

Now that you have told people of your "intelligence", support your claims by acting accordingly. Resist the urge to urinate in
your trousers and use the restroom instead. Rather than reading Breathing For Dummies, read something intelligent such as
National Geographic or Discovery Magazine. While you're talking, tilt your head 45 degrees into the air with your eyes closed.

Act smug. Throw out as many smart-sounding six syllable words you can think of during a conversation. Spell check your documents and use the thesaurus as frequently as possible. Go to Starbucks, buy a coffee, and pretend to type something on your Mac (or better yet, work at Genius Bar) Doing this will further convince people that you do not have pig excrement for brains.

4.Step 4. Don't look dumb, look smart

To totally convince people that you lack mental stupidity, you must support your claims and acts of "intelligence" by your looks. Looking intelligent is easier than you might think. Like the Nazis and the KKK, intellectuals have developed a sort of fashion trend to help people identify themselves. Imitating this fashion trend would help people identify you as a smart person, when you clearly aren't. Instead of wearing only your undergarments, wear a lab coat. Decorate your pimple encrusted face with a pair of 6 inch glasses and equip your pockets with proper protection. Cover your frostbite ridden feet with a pair of shoes, and fill your pockets with pencils, calculators, and an assortment of scientific equipment. Once you are finished, those who see you will automatically think of you as a smart person, despite your subzero IQ.

Conclusion

Once you have completed these steps, people will no longer be able to detect your idiocy. Instead, all they will see is a
complete idiot who thinks that he can hide his stupidity with a bunch of cheap tricks.

My advice....TRY IT. Your are in stupidity denial. Your only hope is this program.

BTW, just out of curiosity, did your mother pinch your umbilical cord or did the best part of you run down her leg during that botched abortion? Not that it matters now. However this 4 step program may save the world from another of your declarations.

I'm asking myself, is THAT being civil? :eek:

what a lowlife...

I'm so glad I found this...Seeing a complete and total meltdown is pretty helpful in gauging the credibility of the poster. hahahahahaaaaa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back