Gear Available:
SM58
Pod XT PRO
Boss GT8 Pro
Behringer DEQ 2496
EMU 1010 Audio Card
Sonar 5 Producer Edition
Music Type: Rock

Current: Mic >> Pod XT Pro (Tube Preamp no Speaker, no compresor) >>> DEQ (Just for Adjusting Gain) >>> EMU 1010

Problems:
I have tried everything, singing close, singing far, retweaking for each position, but either I have the crappiest voice on earth, or I'm a complete morron, or both! LOL.

Recomendations, sometimes it's too bassy and clips, or too distant.
Thanks

First, get a pop filter/screen/sheild like this one.

Next, with your mic plugged directly into the 2496, roll off the low end on the input of your microphone. Do this in stages --- ditch everything at or below 40Hz, two thirds at 80Hz, one third at 120Hz and then up to 250Hz where you can stop. Then set the rest of the EQ bands flat. This is not meant to be a perscription - only guidelines. You WILL have to adjust this to you microphone and voice.

Then, according to the Behringer web site your fancy EQ has a simple compressor built in. Use it on a low ratio, like 3:1, and just so you see your loudest vocal passage light it up --- use the threshold control to set this.

Also, the PodXT is not made for vocals specifically. That may be your problem. Try it without the Pod in the chain and just with the mic plugged into the 2496 and then into the Emu card.

If you don't have success with any of the above, consider a budget vocal channel like this or this.

Back