Help! - recording using line in (on CW9)

Alaking

Is there some box I gotta check to choose my source for recording?

I can only record stuff using the "mic in"... and can't pick up anything using my "line in".

How can I get stuff that I'm sending into my "line in" to record?

thanks,
Alaking.

You'll have to use the "mixer" of your soundcard(or Windows
if that's what you are using) to select line in instead of the
mic in. ON mine, a Soundblaster Live platinum card, I choose
the soundblaster on line "mixer" to let it know I want the
line in and not the mic in.

PaulB

hmmmm...

Thanks for the reply,

....but I can't find any kind of option boxes for choosing my recording source on my windows mixer.

(BTW, I have some crappy soundcard [Riptide somethin or other] that came with my crappy H.P. computer....)

Any further suggestions?

thanks,
Alaking.

double click the yellow speaker icon on the taskbar (rh side). choose options --> properties --> recording, then select the source you want and click ok. you probably want to get a better s/card though.

malg.

Thanks again for the help - but I may be going bonkers!!!

When I get to my properties box, and go to recording... the only things I can change are what volume controls are shown on my windows mixer... no options for source!!

(I can also chose my mixer/soundcard - but I only have 1)

I'm gonna start ripping my #@#$ing hair out!

Anymore help?

thanks,
Alaking.

You can change what modules are displayed by going to Options, and then checking each module listed. That will display them all, or as many as u want i.e. CD, Mic in, Line in etc. You will see your soundcard listed in the window box as well.
Repeat the excercise for "Recording". Make sure the What u hear box is UNCHECKED! And that the "line in" is checked. And nothing is muted and all volumes are maxed out.
That should set you up okay.

BTW, you can display both windows recording and playback mixers at the same time by going to the yellow speaker icon and double clicking twice. You will then need to drag the top window down the screen to reveal another underneath. You then select one of the to be the Recrod window Options>properties>Recording)

If for nothing else, Gates should burn in eternal hellfire just for the completely whack design of this Windows Mixer utility...

No problems. Glad to help. Understanding the windows mixer is fundamental to learning about problems most Newbies (and not so newbies) experience. So much so that Cake walk has a tutorial on it on their site.

Hi AlChuck, yep, totally agree. It is so convoluted and un user friendly, anti intuitive etc.

A source of constant hassle for everyone.:(

Yup, that's why it's Cakewalk's "most frequently asked question," and pops up here on this board almost daily.

Back