help!..RECORDING problem.

darc mind

hi..

im having a problem with my recording now..this didn't happen before so juss need someone to point out my problem to me

my set up is

Behringer VX2000 UltraVoice Processor (preamp)
MXL V67G Condenser Mic
and then wires connecting it all together

now i have nudge around the mic cable a bit behind the preamp to get it working..it used to be fine after i got but now when i record the quality is horrible now..the volume of the recorded vocal is jumping around a lot (it would go really high and then low) and the recording is more staticy..can anyone plz help me out in whats wrong now..thnx

It is a bad Mic cable or a bad xlr connection either in the preamp or on the cable itself.

First try a new cable.
If that does not work then it is probably a bad solder joint with the connector in the preamp.
Most times it is the cable.
Unless you have been wrenching the xlr plug hard getting it in and out on the pre.
Also try a dynamic mic instead of the condensor. If it works fine then there is a problem with the cable ground (not letting phantom power through ) or with phantom power of the unit.

Tom

umm arite i tested a dynamic mic on it and it works fine..so im guessin it is the mic cable..im gonna try a new mic cable and see how that works out..what if the same thing occurs with the new mic cable..?...culd it also be the mic?

If you can wiggle it at the preamp side to tease the problem into happening with a condensor and it works good with the same cable and a dynamic mic, it sounds like a possible cold solder joint at the XLR out (where phantom power connects internally). Just a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

lol nvm thnx for the help..my mic cable messed..i got a new one and it works fine now..well atleast i think it does..i recorded something little and it was going fine..thnx for all your help=)

okk its still not working...

i got a new cable..but its still jumping around..i tried the dynamic mic..but i tried it in the insert (send) place...not in the mic cable..that worked fine..but the mic cable one..i put in a new cable and its still jumpnig..its weird..now im either thinking its either preamp itsself..or the mic..now u said its a bad solder joint..is there any way to fix this?

Back