Help..recording on my harddrive!!!

Kemo

Help...I'm really stupid and need your help. I have a mixer (Mackie 12CH) and don't know how to record to my hard drive.
This is how I would like to do it.......I'd like to be able to play a beat (bass and droms already recorded) on the computer and record vocals in real time.

How do I do this? I do however understand that I'll definitely need a new sound card but would like the knowledge anyhow. I've got a good computer and can't figure out how to record vocals.

TIA

You send the channel outputs from the mixer to the soundcard's inputs. If it's a consumer soundcard this will be a stereo minijack, so you'll need to take two channel outs or, maybe better, a subgroup, and you'll need a cable with probably two 1/4 in plugs on one end and a stereo miniplug on the other end.

You should also take the outs of the soundcard (also probably a stereo minijack) back to the mixer so you can route the soundcards's output to the monitors.

On the computer you need some kind of software to record with; lots of choices, and you might have at least something rudimentary that came with the soundcard. The process is basically like a tape machine: you have tracks, and you assign the soundcard's input to it (often you'll have a choice of the left side signal, the right side signal, or both at once to a stereo track. Then you arm the track for recording. You probably will need to adjust the level coming in to make sure it doesn't clip or it distorts really horribly. When your levels are set, hit record, and start singing! At the end of the take save it with some file name, and you're off!

if you get a new soundcard make sure that it is 'full-duplex'

this will allow you to play back tracks (drum and bass) and record (vocals) at the same time

you're going to need some sort of multitracking software as well (eg. Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.)

have fun!!!

You'll also need a decent mic (not from Radio Shack), Sure SM57 ($79) at Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, just about any music store will probably have these.

Thanks a bunch to all the replies so far. I haven't tried any thing yet, but as soon as I'm finished with this reply I'm a gonna give it a shot. I used to sing with a couple bands and, yes the shure sm57 works great! I did however become hooked on an old shure unidyne. I also heard audix is pretty good also.

But anyway, thanks again for all the great replies!!

Kemo

Back