Help Recording: Headphone out or Preamp out?

ThEightSixty

Hey all. I just purchased a brand new EVH 5150iii. There is a headphones output on the back as well as preamp in/out. I’m wondering what the best option is to record with?

I was hoping I could go from the headphone out into my Scarlet Studio, but I read that might not be the best. I also read a little bit on using the preamp out to record, but if I am reading correctly, that removes the power amp section and volumes can be low and sound very thin.

So, looking for recommendations on how to plug into my interface. Preferably, I’d like to be able to record without having to have the cab on, so just listening through headphones from my scarlet.

Would a mic pre or can simulator work? Open to ideas. Thanks!

Plug some headphones into the headphone output and listen to see of you like the sound. If you do, job done. If you don't, it won't be any better using the preamp out.

For the most part, much of the sound of that amp is the speakers.

Plug some headphones into the headphone output and listen to see of you like the sound. If you do, job done. If you don't, it won't be any better using the preamp out.

For the most part, much of the sound of that amp is the speakers.
If I used something g like the Mesa CabClone, I could plug from the speaker out to the CabClone, the use the out on the CabClone into my scarlet correct? Using a cab sim with load box basically takes the place of the cabinet correct?

Use the preamp out to your interface. I doubt the phones out would sound all that good even if it did work. In addition, plugging watts into an input expecting line level might be detrimental to the interface.

Use the preamp out to your interface. I doubt the phones out would sound all that good even if it did work. In addition, plugging watts into an input expecting line level might be detrimental to the interface.
My main thing is that I need to record quietly, so cab needs to be silent. I just read plugging in a dummy headphone adapter to the headphone jack, turns off the cab, but that I need to leave the cab plugged in to handle the load. So if I go from the preamp to the interface, how would I be able to raise the volume?

My main thing is that I need to record quietly, so cab needs to be silent. I just read plugging in a dummy headphone adapter to the headphone jack, turns off the cab, but that I need to leave the cab plugged in to handle the load. So if I go from the preamp to the interface, how would I be able to raise the volume?
I assume that you just raise the volume of the amp at the head. If the dummy headphone plug turns the cab off, it's off. Volume boost won't change that. What does the amp's owner's manual say?

Back