Help Recording Brass Instruments

AyyLmao

This is just a really short, bad video of me playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zO_zPnehk

How can I make it a bit clearer? Of course I, as the player, would play better if I was actually playing to the best of my ability, but it would still sound bad.

I was using the microphone from my iPhone 6, so I will need an actual microphone too. I was thinking of the AT2020 usb (because I'm on a serious budget).

The iPhone 6 mic is a surprisingly good microphone for horns. It was a pretty clean recording. Sure, the AT2020 may help a bit, but if you want a seriously better sound (well first, practice up. You're pretty good but it sounded a little uncomfortable) then I would recommend saving up for a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface and a good condenser mic. I get nice sax recordings out of the MXL910 and got it for about $100 on sale. It'll give you more room to grow in the long run.

Also, you may want to try playing to a karaoke track or make some backing tracks. There are plenty of people doing trombone and horn covers on youtube. You need to have something different and interesting to set yourself apart.

Yeah I was planning on doing some looping things and mixing in some other instruments. I was just testing the waters with this "cover" and seeing how it sounded.

For the microphone will just about any condenser mic work?

Back