HELP!!! Recording a drum track from a PC to the Tascam 488 MK11

gaz1

Sorry to bring Midi music into this forum, but I am having trouble recording a drum track I have put together on my Computer Using Cubase VST onto my Tascam 488.

The drums sound harsh and seem to have a bass sound.. almost like a low bass guitar sound accompanying them.

I have tried everything from resetting the Eq's, cleaning the heads, demagnetising the unit as per the manual to replacing the connections spending a fortune on Gold leads etc. nothing seems to help!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

p.s. I am so fed up with the poor quality of sound that I am seriously considering replacing my unit for the new Roland VS-840ex Digital recording unit....

Poor sound quality from a 488? Unless the unit has somehow been damaged, I would suspect something else first (before you part with a wad of cash for a Roland).

You're not using metal tape, are you? You might just switch brands of tape, use the shortest length you can find, and make sure its type II high bias.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
No I haven't been using a Metalic tape, I have infact been using a chrome TDK 60 minute tape as recommended by by local Music shop.
The sound that I am referring to only occurs when recording high frequency sounds i.e. Cymbols, High hats etc.

Any other suggestions?

You've stumped me here - I use the same tape you do!

The only other thing I could think of is isolating the recorder from static electricity. Sounds dumb, I know. But a friend who records church choir performances told me that he had to put his gear on anti-static pads, otherwise he would get screwy results from all the static in the carpet left over from 400 people shuffling into a church, especially in winter (?)

To my (very) limited understanding, high frequency signals leave a tiny signature on tape, and can be effected by static charge.

This is all secondhand, so I could be way off. Hope it helps even a little!

That could well be a possibility, as the unit is currently sitting on top of a purpose built rack that has a seperate multi effects unit and amplifier underneath seperated of-course by individual shelves.
Where can I purchase these anti-static pads you were talking about?

Most computer retailers carry pads you can put your computer on, but I bought a second-hand computer table that has static pads built into it. They look like upside-down funnels where the legs meet the table. You might try a used office supply place for the table. I think Office Depot has the anti-static pads.

Back