Help recordin MIDI keyboard sound..

mista doe

I have programs such as fruity loops, cool edit, and soundforge..

and a yamaha psr keyboard connected to my pc via Midi to Joystick cable.. now my question is can someone please help me out and explain to me how to get some sound out if it.. i try messing with all the settings for midi but i can't seem to get any sound recorded from my keyboard to the pc on no program.. thanks for the help.. if anyone could explain step by step on how to record on one of these programs much appreciated.. also
go to www.nocturnalrecords.com to get a free drum kit ;)

A very common mistake among people new to MIDI.....

You cannot record the sounds on the keyboard through the MIDI cable. What's going through the MIDI cable is not sound, only signals that tell another device such as a sound module or sequencer what keys are played and what controls are modified. To record the sound of your keyboard you will need to run audio cables from the keyboard's audio out's into your sound card's audio in's.

No no.. i don't think u undertand.. is anyone reading the question? I know midi cables function.. i'm not stupid.. i'm asking HOW can i record MIDI utilizing a certain program into my computer for example what are the CONFIGURATIONS i would have to do on my computers settings , and or in a program to be able to record from my midi keyboard.

Three apps you mentioned up there don't record MIDI. Some playback MIDI along with audio files, but they don't do as MIDI recorder. Howecer, you can assign MIDI message (notes, controller messages, etc...) to trigg event in each apps (like play, rec, etc...).
eg. in Cool Edit Pro 2, go Options --> Shortcuts. ;)
If that's not what you want, plz explain what your goal...

James is right - well, sort of. Fruity Loops does some basic MIDI sequencing.

You would be better off using something like Cakewalk Home Studio 2002.

Ahh now we see... maybe i was confused by the part where you said....

mista doe said:
now my question is can someone please help me out and explain to me how to get some sound out if it.....but i can't seem to get any sound recorded from my keyboard to the pc on no program

You said "to get SOUND recorded" and for some strange reason I thought you meant "to get SOUND recorded". How silly of me.

Back