Help Please...

Pearl SMX

Hey.
So im a drummer, and its always been a dream of mine to own a recording studio, and I think im about ready to start buying the equitment. I will be using this studio for band use (drums, guitar (sometimes 2), bass, maybe vocals, but not now). I dunno if I should just get a all in one workstation like this CLICK. Or, if I should just buy a mixer by itself, and all the other equitment needed, and have it hooked up to the computer. What are the pros and cons of each? Which do you think I should go with? Thanks..

-Nick

Hey man,...
How goes?

Ok...it only has 8 ins....4 xlr and 4 - 1/4"....
so...you are a drummer...you will need at least 4 for drums...I prefer 6 myself....
and you are limited to 4 with phantom power....for condensor mics...

it's limited to 24 total tracks and you can only record 8 at a time...
it has built in effects but, that will not compare to plugs that you can use in any software that is out there...

it's not a bad starter machine man...

it's definitely cheap enough....

I wouldn't want one though...
Good luck man,
Be cool,
Joe

I prefer Computer based rigs. Can't tell you exactly why. It just feels alot better to see my recordings and layout and everything on a computer screen than to see everything on a small piece of metal. Plus, there's free VST Plug Ins and Instruments too. And free recording software, too, if you don't have the money.

If you already have the computer to do it, you should probably go that route. You need a pretty good machine, with a dedicated hard drive for the audio, and you'll need a good multi-channel soundcard/interface.

I didn't have a good computer, so it was cheaper for me to go the DAW route. I got a used Yamaha AW16G for $600, and I really enjoy it.

Well, I have a new Apple iBook G4. Only about a month old. Is that a good enough computer? If so.. what would I need for a computer recording setup? If you could be so kind and list all of the basics needed for computer recording, that would be so awesome. Keep it cheap too... but enough for good quality. I dont want to spend a bunch of money and then need to upgrade in a year, know what I mean?

A G4 is a good machine...
basics are an interface with enough ins to accomodate your needs...
I would say at least 8...12 would be better...
You can go with a small card and a better mixer and do a board mix into the box....sort of defeats the idea of multi tracking software thoiugh.....
If it has a firewire card...then you can choose from a lot of different interfaces...
It is a Mac though so Pro Tools maybe the way for you to do....with a Digi....but,...it aint cheap...

look around on ebay for Digi's and MAudio cards...or pre-sonus ....

good luck man,
Joe

Back