Help please: Tascam 2488 Neo owners......is a slight hum normal ?

Gdub1

Hi everyone! New member here. :)

I've just bought a new Tascam Neo.

When switched on, there is a low level hum that is audible from several feet away. I've tried a few experiments and it's the same hum level in different plug sockets, in different rooms.
It's not that it's terrible, but it is a bit louder than I expected.... most of my other electrical items are reasonably quiet.

Is this audible 'hum' (and a smidge of 'mechanical noise') typical of the Neo/2488 ?

Is your Neo/2488 noisy or quiet ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ken. Thanks for replying.

I've just popped around the corner, to a friend's flat, and plugged the Neo in.

Noticeably less hum. Drat! It seems the Neo is a bit sensitive to the power in my house (probably a ground shielding issue that hasn't previously shown up this badly).

However, because the hum was quieter, I noticed there was definately some quieter, but still vaguely annoying 'mechanical noise' (like the persistent whirring of the fans in a slightly noisy computer).

So, it was better, far less hum, but still a bit noisier than: the two laptops in my house, my power amp, surround system, MPC 1000, etc.

Is your Neo completely quiet, or do you notice a bit of mechanical noise (like a whirring sound) ?

I'm just trying to judge whether I may have some slightly dodgy components.

.....or perhaps I'm just being overly fussy! I just thought it would be almost completely silent (apart from when using the CD writer, which I assume will make some noise).

Last edited:
I can not hear a single thing from my NEO. I know there is a fan running, but it doesn't make a sound. I am in love with my NEO and use it more than my PROTOOLS DAW.

Hi aaron. Thanks for replying.

I think I know what the source of the mechanical noise might be; it's the hard drive.

It seems to me that, even during the start-up sequence, it's noisy! It kinda 'clunks' during that sequence, like an old computer booting up. Also, I reckon the constant mechanical whirring I can hear is probably the hard drive too.

Hmm! I reckon I might have a lemon! You & other people on the forum say their Neos' are totally quiet.

Just to clarify: Do you hear any (constant) mechanical noise at all from your Neo ?
Mine is just loud enough to be annoying in a quiet room.

Once in a while when the drive light is on I can hear the HD working, but it's not loud enough to be picked up by my mics. Not constant at all.

Might be a bum HD issue. That's a bummer. I love my NEO.

This reminds me I should probably try to find a couple replacement drives for mine before they become impossible to find....

Once in a while when the drive light is on I can hear the HD working, but it's not loud enough to be picked up by my mics. Not constant at all.

Might be a bum HD issue. That's a bummer. I love my NEO.

Yeah, same here. I record with condenser mics about a foot away from my 2488 (not NEO, but same family). No way any mic picks it up.

Thanks for the replies.

So, it appears than my Neo IS noisier than the norm.

Back it goes.....for another one.

Fingers crossed! ;-)

So, it appears than my Neo IS noisier than the norm.
Though I'm not a Neo user, recently the slight whirring sound on my Akai DPS 12i has been picked up by my condensers as has the clock ticking and it's 6 feet away. I never used to notice it but I guess my ears are getting better. What I do to cut out the whirring is to put a thick cushion on the fader surface. If I listen through phones there is a definite difference as I lift the cushion off and then put it back. That might be worth trying before you get rid.

Though I'm not a Neo user, recently the slight whirring sound on my Akai DPS 12i has been picked up by my condensers as has the clock ticking and it's 6 feet away. I never used to notice it but I guess my ears are getting better. What I do to cut out the whirring is to put a thick cushion on the fader surface. If I listen through phones there is a definite difference as I lift the cushion off and then put it back. That might be worth trying before you get rid.

Hi gt. Thanks for your input.

I'm seriously hoping the replacement Neo will be nice n' quiet and I won't need a cusion!

.....unless it's still noisy....then I'll use the cusion to smother the bugger to death! :)

Back