Help picking out a usb interface. Please??

mindrought

Hi peeps. I'm a newby and I need help. I want to be able to have my bassist over to work on ideas to present to our band.
My experience: Started out on a Teac 4-track reel to reel in 1983, then went to a cassette 4-track in 1986, then to a Tascam 8-track reel to reel in 1994, then a Fostex portable 8-track digital in 1997 . My only pc-based recording was with Sonar producer edition a few years ago, but I didn't put too many hours in on it. I took a multitrack class in college but that was 1988, and the only pc-based recording going on then was cakewalk midi stuff, so I'm pretty green to it all.:(
I am on the rush forum, so I'm aware of how these discussion forums work. I will try to use the search feature in the future, but since I'm new here I was hoping for some special help on my search for a usb interface.
So anyway, my aim here is to get some advice on what might work for my needs. I'll be plugging a v-drum kit into the interface along with a bass guitar (straight in.) I'd like to be able to record two tracks to a multi track recorder then add EQ and effects to color the sound to present to our band as a basis for song ideas.
I have a desktop pc running xp pro and also a netbook with an atom processor, 1gb of memory and 512kb of cache. I could use the desktop, but would rather use the netbook since I could carry it into my living room easily for editing.
My budget is about $200usd and I'm looking to buy new or used. M-audio's fast track series seems to be about what I'm looking for, the fast track ultra looks especially attractive since it has two headphone outputs and can record up to 8 tracks at once. I found an ultra for $200 used on CL but guy hasn't written me back yet. I also looked at the tascam line US-144mkII/us-122. I'm not using any mics right now, so phantom power is not required.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Also, is the pre-bundled cubase le junk? how about the m-audio basic "pro tools"? The studio our band uses has pro tool, so compatibility would be a plus but not critical.

Last edited:
well the interface i use in my own studio is the presonus audiobox it is great and affordable. all u have to do is hook it up through ur usb install the driver software and ur good to go. it does have phantom power in case u do decide to get mics eventually. they run for about $150 and are available at most places such as guitar center and it came with studio one artist with it. which is a simple to use software. it is 2x2 so it has to mic/instrument inputs and 2 midi inputs. i hope that will be some help.

Sorry I can't help on the USB interface but I can tell you Cubase LE is not junk. As far as multitrack recording goes it basically has most of the features of the full version. I'm sure it could handle what you describe.

B-ware

Be aware of bad reviews on the tascam drivers. I purchsed one and found them to be true i.e. some conflicts and a weird bug that affects the PCs return from sleep mode. Even after un-installing the drivers my PC still has to be re-started say one in twenty times coming out of sleep. They also leave crap you cant un-install. Sorry Tascam!

Be aware of bad reviews on the tascam drivers. I purchsed one and found them to be true i.e. some conflicts and a weird bug that affects the PCs return from sleep mode. Even after un-installing the drivers my PC still has to be re-started say one in twenty times coming out of sleep. They also leave crap you cant un-install. Sorry Tascam!

I never had issues with my us-122... if your looking to go cheap I recommend it heartily. I'm not sure what has occured to PDP but my experience has been good across several XP computers and various linux distros. I've upgraded my digital setup to a delta1010lt so I can't comment on Vista/7 compatibality.

based on your experience with stand alone multitrackers you might want to look at some variation of digital multitracker

currently, though a little over budget, the low end cream of crop (cost/benefit) is the Zoom R16 New it sells for $400 and they have begun showing up ued or retailer refurb/restock for $300. In addition to 8 simultaneous in's (line or mic and it supports two Hi-z inputs for guitar/bass DI) it also has usable onboard mic (can be set to different track from Hi-z inputs . . . so guitar + bass + vocals snap shots all at once are a breeze)

it uses SD or up to 32 gig SDHC cards as recording media

functions as a USB interface for computer as well

Additionally if you can find one of the Fostex MR8's (not MKII), no longer made, with the four discrete, simultaneous inputs that too (while having a smaller feature set) could server your purpose well (still think MR8 is one of the unsung heros of portable recording & I started portable recording with a 7" reel2reel Wallensac) Used the the MR8 should be available in the $200 range uses compact flash as media (they also made an MR8HD (hard drive version and HD-CD, hard drive plus CD burner for more, even used . . . though HD used might come in in $250 or less range

there are a lot of digital multitrackers that will sell at or below the $200 range . . . primary limitations of older models included 16 bit recording, limited recording space (earlier models were limited either to difficult to replace 1-16 gig HD's or 1-16 gig flash media), limited and awkward editing features coupled with difficulty exporting digital audio to computer One way or another the Zoom R16 addresses most of these issues in a very portable package and is a way to address record & edit with computer in a step wise fashion from a largely familiar interface (arm a track and hit record)

picked up an m-audio ft Ultra. need mt advice now...

OK,
I didn't know if anyone would ever respond to this thread, so I picked up an m-audio fast track ultra for $180usd off craigslist. What I like about it, is that it has two headphone outs, which is a great feature. Plus, it records multiple tracks at once which would be good for future recording of my acoustic drums and/or making mobile live recordings.
Now all I need is multitracking software. I am intrigued that basic pro-tools (m-powered) is available for pretty cheap, so I'm saving up for that. This way, my work will be compatible with the studio my band uses and most other studios for that matter.
Does anyone use this basic pro tools software? :confused: I apologize for not waiting from you guys, but I read so many positive reviews about the ftu that I went and got it. Thanks for all your posts!~:)

It has a couple of EQs, plus you can download others.
Give it a go anyway and tell them I sent you. :D
After that, you may want to try Reaper.
It's about $60 if you decide to keep it.
There are many DAWs.
It's just a matter of finding one you like and learning it.

oops...

It has a couple of EQs, plus you can download others.
Give it a go anyway and tell them I sent you. :D
After that, you may want to try Reaper.
It's about $60 if you decide to keep it.
There are many DAWs.
It's just a matter of finding one you like and learning it.

I'm short on ram, only 1gb right now. i'll upgrade asap but there's no point in downloading yet. doh! ::o

really?

really, cuz this is from bottom of link you gave me:
System Requirements
1 GHz CPU, 2 GB Ram
Windows® 7, Vista, and XP
Sound card, USB, or Firewire sound device :confused:
I downloaded some junk called krystal and it seemed like it was gonna work but didn't. HELP!

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista then Yes, 1GB is bare minimum.
So, my bad.
I much prefer XP though.
Krystal Audio Engine is one of the better freebies. Has a cool forum, very helpful but doesn't do midi.

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista then Yes, 1GB is bare minimum.
So, my bad.
I much prefer XP though.
Krystal Audio Engine is one of the better freebies. Has a cool forum, very helpful but doesn't do midi.

I've got an xp desktop i should use. i'll just upgrade the ram, then use my netbook for internet only and keep the xp pc as a dedicated home studio pc. hmmm

I've got an xp desktop i should use. i'll just upgrade the ram, then use my netbook for internet only and keep the xp pc as a dedicated home studio pc. hmmm
That's what I did.
I'm using a 1993 Compaq C.
There are of course, much better computers but you don't have to spend money on one right away.

Cakewalk USB Interface

Has anybody tried the Calkwalk interface. I am setting up a home studio on my lap top and thought this unit looked pretty slick.

Back