Help on vocal mixing!! (audio sample inside)

ches1

hi everyone!

I need help on mixing this vocal please.I've been making beats for a few years now but I just recently(this week) started recording vocals and after the take is cleanly recorded I have difficulties taking it to the next level. I would like to know your opinions on how to improve this cut like: would you EQ it and how? would you compress it and how? change the mic? etc...

here is the audio:
03 mars 2008-piste 8.wav - 5.13MB

here is the signal chain:
M-Audio Luna LDC mic-->M-Audio DMP3-->TC Electronics C300 compressor 2:1 -10Db-->M-Audio Delta1010-->Adobe Audition 1.5

the room is roughly 12'X12' but it's filled with furniture and we puted a lot of blanket and absorbant material. I'm gonna attach or post picture of how we installed all that.

thanks to everyone how care to reply,
Peace.

Pictures

I don't know if it will work...

distance between mic and mc
858257246fa460

behind the tiger
8582623e4da384

left side of the rapper

behind the artist
858284824d3c98

back/left angle view
858284824d3c98

any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I'd work on the vocal technique. It's pretty sibilant. Maybe try de-essing and compressing it harder first, that may be enough, but it may make it worse. I like vocal that are compressed VERY hard. Your settings probably aren't doing anything much at all unless you are tracking too hot. Look at the comp and see what kind of GR you're getting and post that.

I remember not seeing that much gain reduction on the comp when he was recording but I used these light settings to not fuck the recording, seeing how everyone here says to not compress on the way in I almost felt guilty doing it loll.

I will definitly try to de-ess/compress it and will let yall know.

thanks for your comments NL5 and others feel free to add on!!

Peace.

I remember not seeing that much gain reduction on the comp when he was recording but I used these light settings to not fuck the recording, seeing how everyone here says to not compress on the way in I almost felt guilty doing it loll.

I will definitly try to de-ess/compress it and will let yall know.

thanks for your comments NL5 and others feel free to add on!!

Peace.

I wouldn't compress at all on the way in.....

Well, the main problem ... is that I can't tell what the hell he's saying.

It's a bunch of jibberish.

:D

Back