Help on Buying First Tube Amp

bluesbro

Hi All,
I finally Have enough dough for my first tube amp. I am looking at the Fender Twin and Ampeg Rocketreverb 212. I played the Ampeg and it sounded so sweet.
Do you guys have a preference and why?
Any other 212 amps I should be looking at ?

Thanks
Bluesbro

It's what ever you like, try them all. I have one of the Fender Twin variants and love it but there are a whole range of others out there and in the end YOU have to like what you play thru. I would try a couple of the copies and reissues of the Fender bassman 4x10, Peavy make one and I liked it although I'm not a great fan of a lot of their gear.
Good luck

$1100 tops.
I really want a 2-12 combo tube amp for my studio and the occassional gig. I don't need a stack. 50w or better.
I love the ampeg rocketreverb with 2-12's. I don't have a Fender dealer close by, but I played on a Fender twin reverb 10 years ago. Loved it! Not wanting to drive 100 miles I need some input on other 2-12 combo's I should try before gettin in the car.
I have a Ampeg dealer close by and can get the rocketreverb 212 for $699.
Anyone A/B the Fender/ampeg? Thoughts?
Any others i should try?
Thanks
Bluesbro

Bluesbro--I'd feel guilty of I didn't steer you to the Allen Old Flame. ALL tube, three knob reverb, master volume, tube rectifier. This amp is the best Fender tone I've ever had and it took me a long time to find this amp. I cut my teeth on a Blackface Super Reverb in the 60's, and this amp is even better. Using different tubes and rectifiers you can set it up for anything between 25 and 60 watts of output power.

Check it out at

allenamps.com

Now, there are two niggles. One, if you want to have one for your price, you'll have to wire it up yourself. If you can follow simple instructions and solder, you can do it. Second, the amp is a 2x10, but the Allen speakers put out almost as much sound as 2x12's. If you gotta have 2x12, I think they make the same configuration as the Tonesavor.

David Allen is the owner of the company and he will help you through the whole project. I did this and I am extremely happy with my amp. He is the classiest guy you'd ever want to deal with. Its all point to point wired (no circuit boards, like the new Fender amps), all the highest quality components, using vintage specs where needed.

Please visit the site and at least check it out before you buy anything. This amp is so much better than the Hod Rod series, its sick. Write Allen and he'll answer any questions you have. He's cool and his amps are the shit.

im with royston on the 4 /10 cab...a super reverb with a 4/10 cab is a beautiful sounding amp

If your wanting a Twin, you should look around for and old 70's silverface. They're all over the place and usualy less expensive than re-issue stuff. A Fender Twin from '75-'79 with the original speakers, fair to good overal condition, should be around $750-$900. Things to look/ask for when looking at used tube amps:

Are the tube the correct tubes and was the amp biased the last time the power tubes were changed

Do they glow orange--no blue at all

Arethe speakers original--if reconed ok as long as the original frames & coils are there

Have the filter caps been replaced--if not they will need to be soon

If the amp looks like a second grade science project leave it in the store. Stay away from completely restored amps. New tolex and grill cloth may look pretty, but it cuts the value in half.

Twins are good amps but they are VERY VERY loud, sometimes too loud to get the optimum tone out them at reasonable volumes. By your handle "bleusbro", I will asume you are into the modern blues tone....I recomend a Fender Delux Reverb. A little less wattage than the twin so you can get that saturated tube tone at a lower volume.

Thanks Guys for all the input.
I see everyone (including myself) likes Fender.
Good point that the twin is 85w and probably too loud for my use.
I'll go find a deluxe and give it whirl. I still like the ampeg though.
Anyone play on the Ampeg? thoughts vs. the deluxe?
Yes, I love the Blues!
Thanks
Bluesbro

The Deluxe IS nice. Just remember that if you buy any of those Fender re-issues, you are buying an amp with a printed circuit board--not a point to point wired amp. If you have problems with that PCB down the line, good luck. Repairing a PTP amp is much easier and the PTP amp will last you a lifetime with simple periodic maintenace.

The downside of the Deluxe is that it may not be enough for some gigs. Just like the Twin is overkill, the Deluxe may not cover you on a real rockin' gig unless you mic it. Great sounding amp though.

I currently own the ampeg reverb rocket 1x12 re issue. I love the thing! I tried a bunch of marshalls and fenders before purchasing the ampeg. I play through it with a G&L ASAT (tele) and the tone is beautiful. The distortion was a little weak for me (although it makes a good second overdrive), so I use a mesa V-twin in that arena and that sounds great through this amp as well. Its only a 50 watt, but its one of the loudest 50watts Ive ever heard. I play in a full band with some very loud conterparts and Ive never had to crank this thing past 6. Reverb is spring and its awesome. Not the best Ive heard, but it doesnt mud up the tone, so thats all I ask.
The one downside to this amp is this: You have to like the basic sound you get out of it because the tone controls dont do much. They do a little, but not alot.

With that said, Ill be purchasing a Hot Rod deville here shortly. I have a PRS that sounds much better through the fender than it does the Ampeg. I plan on keeping both amps as I love the Ampeg, but fender does make some damn good amps.
Hope this helps.
Todd

Back