help needed

jwai

hi everyone, i'm trying to get my own demo started here. i'm interested in a multi-tracker to do the recording job. here's the list of stuff that i have:

boss dr-770 drum machine
POD XT
boss GT6 effect processor

i'm trying to get a multi-tracker to handle the recording and finalizing the mix with a PC software. is there anymore things that i need like a mixer or a monitor??? please feel free to list them down. i'm really new to this whole thing. i intend to do the bass with the multi-tracker as well. i heard the boss br-8 and the fostex mr-8 is pretty good. do i need a mixer to connect my drum machine to the multi-tracker? thanks in advance!!!

You don't need a mixer, you can plug the DR-770 straight into the multitracker. You can run it through a mixer if you want to do stuff like add effects etc. Can't comment on either the Boss or Fostex multitrackers. I have a Tascam 788 which I like a lot.

if you are going to be using a PC to master mixes, youll need a decent soundcard anyway, so why not just record straight to the PC?......for about $139 or maybe less, you can get a Delta Audiophile 2496 soundcard and it will be all you need........

do i really need a soundcard to transfer my music from the multi tracker to the PC? i thought the boss br-8 uses zip-disk while the mr-8 uses a usb port? will that be enough or i would still have to get a soundcard? what software would you guys recommend? i had thought of a full PC recording system but the soundcard, the mixers, the mid keyboard and stuff, i thought that might be too much investment to make. furthermore, there's alot of stuff to learn and figure out in a software than a standalone multi-tracker. yes the software will be very convinient in the long run, but i'm still new. thanks guys, keep up the posting. all your comments are very much welcome. thanks!!!!

I have the new incarnation of the BR8,

Boldly named the BR1180CD. Check It out. I enjoy mine a lot, and it burns audio right down onto CD. You can also back up the data from each session digitally on CD for further... sorcery later on.

There are essentially 8 tracks (2 xlr phantom inputs) plus 2 tracks to mix down onto and a 20 gig hard drive, so you have about 60 hours of full tilt recording time. It's not a hell of a lot bigger than the keyboard in front of you. Several companies make these things now. Look around the corner and you'll want something with at least this kind of flexibility.

I sold my Auld Fostex reel to reel this spring for $250 Canadian, which anyone will tell you is a pitiable amount. I willna say what I paid for it. For me, digital has provided more flexibility than I could ever have believed.

Remember the first time you drove with power steering? Hmm?

No, I do not work for Roland.

Look around on the net and find a machine that is specific to your own needs. But I would state categorically that low and medium range tape based recording cannot compare with digital.

OK I'll reluctantly relinquish the soapbox

I know, it's me again. It's just painful, isn't it? You would not need another mixer to plug into my machine if your drumbox mixes down to stereo.

Most of these small Studio Ina Box deals are not able to record many tracks at one time. Mine, only two simultaneous.

hi zipperhead. thanks for the input. really appreciate it. i really had thought of the boss units but currently, they are abit pricey for me. had thought of the br-8 before. just wished to fully utilize the gears that i have with me as well. what about the fostex mr-8? any comments?

Back