Help needed testing my Phantom power

RogerL.

I borrowed a condenser mic and when I plugged it into my mixer and keyed the phantom power I get nothing. I tested the cable, the whole system and it comes back to this mic. The owner swears it worked when stored so I'm wondering if there is a way I can test my phantom power. Is it possible to unplug the mic and get a reading with a meter pin to pin . . . if so, which pins. It's the only condenser I have at the moment so plugging in another mic is not an option. Thanks in advance :o

Are you sure you have turned the gain up? The faders? The master? Have you clicked any mute button by mistake?

This isn't to doubt your intelligence or experience. Professionals forget to do this quite a bit.

I thought I better follow up on this as I did get it solved. First let me than you for your suggestions and I will be viewing that site for my records. It turns out that it was a bad cable, the cable worked fine with my other mics but something must be wrong with it since the mic works fine with another cable. I was able to check the mic by using another cable and going to my PA which also had the Phantom power. So I've since been able to use the mic, but I now know things are not always as they seem, so now I'll double check the cable if there is a future problem. :o

Back