Help needed: new amp radio noise/distortion

gaylord

I just got my Mesa Boogie Rectoverb head. I bought a 2x12 cab also and they gave me a used speaker cable with it. I get home, plug in the amp, and start playing on the clean channel - sounds great. Then it suddenly goes massively distorted (ugly distortion) and the radio starts blaring through the cab. I unplug the guitar cable from the amp, and it continues. I touched the base of the speaker cable and it seemed to dissapate. Switched channels, and it was OK, then back to clean, and bang, same problem.

I had to get back to work, but I have a gig tonight. Does this sound like a speaker cable prob? Would that cause the radio signal and distortion like that? I just really hope it's not the amp. I bought it off Ebay - but from a guy with great feedback as a seller.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry, I really can't offer much help, but the same thing has happened to me once in a while when my amp has been up really loud and I've been playing with a wah pedal...I believe what's happening is that some part of the amp or pedal or whatever is functioning as a receiver for the radio waves (which it obviously shouldn't) but I don't know what you can do about it. If someone knows what causes this/how to fix it please post.

Good luck on the gig :) Hopefully the problem will mysteriously go away.

i think i heard somewhere that something in your signal chain isn't properly grounded but im not sure

Back