Help Me!!!!!

drummer1000

right heres the dilemma,im trying to set up a home studio for recording my bands practice sessions/demos etc and ive no idea what to do about it,i have a copy of pro tools and various stienberg software and am about to recieve a spirit mixin desk,what i want to know is how to get the signals from the inputs on the desk to pro tools...also i need to know if i'll need to upgrade my sound card (currently an SB16-i know i know)to do this,i am going to upgrade it anyway but i need to know which cards would handle recording best(im dimly aware of something called a SB 64 live platinum audigy but what it does i dont know)........i get a feelin that this is a very very basic problem but as i said im new to all this and am a drummer so dont have much in the area of intelligence(allegedly) any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated

Hi

You'll be better off with a 'prosumer' card. The audigy is a consumer card by Creative, available in Vanilla, Super Vanilla and Triple Sundae. Excellent card for gaming and amateur musicians, and a whole flotilla of bells and whistles, but honestly if you want to get a 'pro' level sound and the ability to record in 24-bit, you'll need a prosumer card like a Delta, MOTU, etc (look for the polls for some names and opinions.

These cards, will however not do MIDI, games and other general stuff (I recommend keeping the SB for this). Once you get the card, routing the deck outputs into the soundcard is as easy as pie. Or you can stay cheap and use a set of jacks to wire the inputs into your SB for now (that's what I do)

Sang

ok maybe im just very dense

right so from your last posted thread i presume that your using sb16 or similar..right how do you get a stereo output device(like say the desk id be recording with)into a single jack input and still have stereo separation...also could i still use protools using this set up..and finally.i think how much are we talkin for these prosumer cards mentioned..im on a very tight budet(im also the one whos stumping out money to convert the bands rehersal room into a mini studio area(its next door to a church so it very badly needs sound proofing........the bells the bells!!!!!!!!lol)

Hey!!

OK, what you're gonna need to connect the mixer deck to the soundcard input is a set of jacks.

Now the problem is that the deck probably has two 1/4" jack sockets for l/r, the soundcard has a dinky little 1/8" stereo jack.

You might need to get a custom adapter made if you wanna use the SB 16. That's what I did, made my own.

If you're talking prosumer, most cards have 1/4" sockets for input, so patching them up to a mixer deck is really not a problem. The m-audio audiophile has RCA sockets, AFAIK.

If you're looking prosumer, the bottom end starts at about 150-170 greens in your part of the world, and sometimes maybe a better price could be available. This is for the Audiophile 24/96, which is a really great card at a really good price. I also think someone on this board is selling a Delta 66. I think his name is B1&B2. If you can get a good deal, nothing like it.

Protools... hmm I'm not really sure 'cause I haven't used Protools, but I think it would work. Also I'm not sure you'll be able to cut out the sound of the bells completely. You might wanna start thinking about a song using those bells :D

Again, I believe there are a few people on this board using
SB 16 cards like the Live! and Shure mics, and getting some decent results, you might wanna check out some SB 16 posts for more info.

Sang

Sangram wrote:
These cards, will however not do MIDI, games and other general stuff (I recommend keeping the SB for this).

The Audiophile has MIDI-connectors, and I play Counter-Strike and Diablo 1 and 2 without any problems with the sound.

Radio Shack has cables that go from 2 1/4" to stereo 1/8" as well as two RCA to 1/8" stereo - count me among those who uses a cheap audio card for analog input with pretty good results. Upgrades are forthcoming thanks to good fdbk from this BB

thanks for info...my headache is slowly starting to go...till i actually try to record using the set up and it all goes ka ka...ah well ill keep my fingers crossed and hope it all works...thanks again

actually sangram you wouldnt happen to havre any bblueprints for the adapters you built would you as this would give me one less problem to deal with...as for the bells....hmmmm use them in a song...maybe for my new wave industrial electronica band(if i ever get round to fomin the damn thing that is)

Back