Help me with mix?

gamete18

:confused:

www.myspace.com/zackgamete

Please give some of my mixes a listen and tell me what you think. I love critique.

Im trying to get the high pitched almost a hum out of my recordings. Ive been recording with the TASCAM DP-02CF 8 track.

Its a very nice recorder but i cant seem to get the hiss out of my tracks. (vocal tracks especially.) I'm thinking it may be the mics that i am using. There pretty cheap mics. Can anyone recommend a good vocal mic? Im plugging my acoustic straight into the recorder. Same with bass. I need a good mic that produces no hiss or hum or static or any of those very aggravating noises.

Thank you so much

You need to practice more. Even if the mix was superb the performances ain't.

The envelope filter won't work with that drum beat. It needs syncopation. The vocals are all over the place in both pitch and timing. There's just not much there. But keep at it. It isn't the worst I've heard by a long shot.

A better drum machine, or working with loops might help you get a more balanced sound. And you are going to need an amp. I suggest that you save up and spend the most on the instruments and amplifiers. Please get a tube amp and don't worry about effects. No amp can do everything so you want one that just sounds good without any bells and whistles. Don't buy a solid state amp, even if it has every effect known to mankind.

If you want a mic that can do vocals and electric guitar amplifiers, I think you should be looking at a quality dynamic or a ribbon. Acoustics might need a condenser mic, but a ribbon can sound magnificent on acoustic guitar.

To make this mike work, if it's a dynamic or ribbon mic, you'll need a preamplifier with at 60+ db of gain. The Tascam might not cut it.

Search the individual forums for help on specific mics, amps, and instruments. Keep playing and keep recording and posting for us here. You're in the right place.

You must concentrate in getting a great performance. Recording will go smoother with a good source.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend in gear but I think you need at least one condenser for vocals and acoustics and one dynamic for guitars and bass. I agree with Supercreep: Get a decent tube amp. You don't have to buy and ENGL head&stack, it's enough with a second hand tube amp with fresh valves (look out for the Peavey bravo on eBay)

Luck!

My friend,...

I've not listened to your mix, but I have the DP02CF and I think the power supply module produces high pitched static or RFI that will pick up on mics when the preamps are at full gain. I've also noticed the DP02CF's PSU will throw hum/hiss/interference onto mic and line signals in a separate adjacent mixer. The problem worsens when you run the DP's preamps full wide open, and with them being a bit underpowered this is a lot of the time. Using another mixer as a front end (input mixer) device will help minimize the problem, but not eliminate it. I've thought of creating an RFI shielded and grounded (project-) box to put the DP02CF's power supply module into, theoretically shielding it enough to reduce the RFI it produces, but I've not actually done that. I've also noticed that different mics and cables are susceptible to this RFI in varying degrees. A Shure SM57 seemed to be the most immune from the RFI/hiss/hum problem, but not entirely hiss free. Some mics I tested were awful in the amount of interference they'd pick up. It's a difficult issue that to me points up to inadequate shielding in the PSU design. Good luck./DA

Back