Help me with micing?

Deng

We have 8 mics two mxl 603s condensers, 5 shure sm-57s and one beta-52 running into 4 audio-buddy M-AUDIO pres (each have 2 pres) that run into a MOTU 828 mk II A/D conversion sound card. All this runs into a G4 powerbook running Logic Express and gets outputed through a Behringer headphone power amp with AKG headphones and M-AUDIO studio speakers. The room we are working with is about 20'x30' and the ceilings are 7'3" high. I was wondering how we should mic drums, guitars, vocals et cetera.

Thanks.

-Deng

Deng said:
We have 8 mics two mxl 603s condensers, 5 shure sm-57s and one beta-52 running into 4 audio-buddy M-AUDIO pres (each have 2 pres) that run into a MOTU 828 mk II A/D conversion sound card. All this runs into a G4 powerbook running Logic Express and gets outputed through a Behringer headphone power amp with AKG headphones and M-AUDIO studio speakers. The room we are working with is about 20'x30' and the ceilings are 7'3" high. I was wondering how we should mic drums, guitars, vocals et cetera.

Thanks.

-Deng

When you say drums, guitars etc do you mean as a live take (tracked at once)? if so there are a many options.

Option1
2x 603s - O/H
1x Beta52 - Kick
3x SM57 - Toms
1x SM57 - Guitar Amp
Bass - Direct
1x SM57 - Vocal

Option 2
1x 603 - O/H (placed in the middle, i personally would prefer a stereo image of the cymbals.)
1x 603 - Vocal
2/3x SM 57 - Toms (if 2, place one of the floor tom and one between the high toms)
1/2x SM57 - Guitar Amp
Bass - Direct

Thats just two options, wait abit to see what the others have to say. :)

Hey Deng!

bcains- I don't think he was talking about a live take. I think he was asking about mic placement for doing individual recorded takes like drums first with the mxl's for O/H 57s on other various parts of the kit (toms and snare maybe hi-hat or room) and 52 on kick, then 57s on guitar cab. DI bass 57 vocals or mxl vocals

If your looking for mic placement I happen to know somewhere on this board there is a really cool technique for overhead micing (unusuall but works very well) that I now use all the time. Otherwise there is the good old x-y technique or just even try sticking them somewhere above the kit very hi around a center line in the kit making it availible for stereo panning in post production (that can turn out disasterous if mics aren't placed stereo balanced). Drums are gonna be the hardest to get, but your room seems like with a little treatment it could be amazing (look in the studio building and display forum for that). Out of the hardest thing to record on the drums overhead sound is the most important and most of the close micing mix will be easier to get a better strait live sound if your overheads are placed correctly. Spend the most time on that. I'm sorry I can't point you to any links right now, but I'm pretty sure someone who will reply will be able to. Why don't you tell us what types of music you are recording, and maybe give a better blueprint of your room.

Hope that helps, Or at least kicks it off!

Ben

Thanks a lot.

Yea, sorry for not being that specific, I meant recording each instrument seperately. I will definately check out those links.

::edit::

I am mainly planning on recording metal and heavy stuff. The room is kind of boxy, obviously being really long. It starts off kind of narrow and then the walls essentially do a stepping design down the the full width of the room...

Kind of like that. (Ignore the dotted lines, the forum wouldn't let me just do spaces)

-Deng

Back