Help Me Understand

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
I’ve been recording music for quite awhile now (25-ish years). Always been just a hobby with me. Too old to really go anywhere with it anyway for the most part. But recently one of my bandmate’s granddaughter (yes, granddaughter, lol) posted several of our tracks on Spotify. One of the tracks has gathered over 2,000 streams. That seems quite a bit to me, considering we’ve done absolutely zero promotion of any kind.

So I’m trying to understand how people are finding it? Is it all viral? One person stumbles on it, tells a friend, etc.? Also puzzling is that this one song has at least over ten times the number of streams as any of the other tracks posted as part of the same “album.” And some tracks have less than 20 hits.

So enlighten me fellow brethren, any idea what’s going on here?

I wish I knew - one of my tracks is doing very well in .......... Istanbul! In essence spread seems to be like you say - but also slapping it in a facebook post, or on our forum here has big impacts and google/youtube/spotify etc all have very clever algorithms to make it work. Wierdly, my spotify songs cannot be found on spotify via alexa? No idea why, but they're on spotify - but the amazon link presumably doesn't work?

Thanks.

I suspect with this stuff some of it is self-fulfilling. In other words the more hits a track gets, the more it is likely to end up in Spotify’s recommendation algorithm. So success breeds success.

Like they say, the first $ million is the hardest. 😁

Someone, possibly your granddaughter(?), has shared a link to that song via social media. Many shares take off like wildfire.

Someone, possibly your granddaughter(?), has shared a link to that song via social media. Many shares take off like wildfire.
She’s not my granddaughter, but certainly possible. She apparently has mentioned that she played some songs for her friends and they liked them and asked where they could listen. Hence the Spotify posting.

Still puzzling why the one song though. I imagine if she shared it would be a link to the full “album.” (More a collection of songs than an album.)

Far more complex than that, albums or singles spotify doesn't care because its songs, albums, playlists and every exposure location. If people heard it and added it to a playlist that has other big hitters, that probably helps too. It could also be tik tok? Anything now is possible?

Back