Help me understand the 1642vlz pro mixer

Hi_D_Ho_Man

Tha' So & So ,So & So
I've finally gotten to where I have more synth outputs than i have audio interface inputs. So I'm looking into a submixer with multiple sub-output busses.

While at the Mackie website looking into the 1642 i couldn't get this to register in my my mind.

1642_master.jpg

Ok the fader section in this pic appeared to me to be 4 subgroup faders each controlling a left and right channel paired as :1-5 ,2-6 ,3-7 ,& 4-8, then the Main Mix fader that controls the master left-right outputs which made sense to me when i saw this pic
1642rear.JPG

It looked good to me, seemed i could have 4 stereo sub-busses and 1 master stereo bus then I see this

1642_channelstrip.JPG

Here's the pic that confused me. The fader section shows routing buttons marked 1-2, 3-4, and L-R. I assume L-R are to the Main Mix fader channels, but the 1-2 & 3-4 buttons gives me the impression that i can only send to 2 pairs of sub-outputs. This further confused me becuz the sub-output faders in the Master section are marked 1-5, 2-6, 3-7 etc.

Could someone help clear this up for me. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never used a hardware mixer of any kind before (other than the one on my FW-1884).

#2 If anyone one recommends a different synth sub mixer, any suggestions are appreciated. My main interest is multiple sub-outputs. and maybe a nice eq section. I wont be using the mic pres so i dont care about those.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Thanx for the fast reply. The Rane mixer isn't quite what I'm looking for since it dosen't have any sub group outputs.

After looking at your pics and descpription, I was confused as well. I have a lower end mackie mixer. I even read the mackie manual (on line)and was still confused. After looking at the block diagram it became clear. The 1642 only have has 2 stereo sub-mix busses :(
5-8 sub outs are simply duplicated 1-4 subouts. That is 1 and 5 are the same signal, 2 and 6, etc, they just gave you two jacks instead of one incase you wanted to split the outputs.
So if two sub mixes and one main mix will suit your needs, then this will work well for you.

- keykent

Thanks alot for clearing that up for me. Wow 1st post and you solved a query. :)

Thanks for taking the time. 2 stereo subs will most def do. but if it were 4 it would been as good as bought. Still undecided at this point the Mackie and the Yammie MG. For what I'll be using it for I'll prolly save some money and go for the MG.

Thank you both for asking / answering this question!
Feel a bit short-changed having bought this mixer though, given the explanation!

Back