Help me understand envelopes please!!

Fat_Satchel

I suffer Narcoleptic Rage
First off...tried to post this over at Flavs site...told to make an account, made an account, logged in...went to start my threed and get told I cant cus Im not logged in....go figure...

Anyways...

Im finally trying to get into some automation but so far not so good. I followed the help file instruction...

Example...Aux send volume

Select what parts you want to work with and click "X" (delete symbol...function is silence selection) to set the volume to 0...ok that works...it moves the envelope line to the bottom edge of each wav file...looks good so far. Then I zoom in and add a couple nodes and move a part of the envelope line back up to the centerline of the wav file...click the P and the R on the mixer and hit play....At the part, I see the fader go from INF up to about -20 or so...huh?? Wouldnt the centerline be -0??

So I move the nodes I added all the way to the top edge of the wav file and press play...fader moves up to about -15 or so...WTF??

What am I doing wrong here?

Maybe the numbers are completely wrong, but whats important is if you move the node back to normal volume height, that the volume is normal again. If so then the numbers are purely out to lunch. If not, then there are serious issues :D.

Wish i could help you, Fat. I don't use the P & R functions. But i do use envelopes all the time.

For pan, AUX send, AUX returns, all of them; all envelopes work the same...

- Use the mixer to set the volume of each track so you can hear it.
- Hold down ALT to temporarily view the currently selected envelope.
- Click the Draw Volume Envelopes button to permanently view the currently selected envelope.
- Click the Enable Mouse... (arrow) button to revert to normal view.
- The envelope is displayed as a straight line down the middle of the track (mid height).
- Click anywhere on the track to place a new node. Sliding the node up raises the volume (pan, send, whatever). Sliding the node down lowers the volume.

It's really pretty easy once you learn how. The P & R? no clue...

tj

alright teej

i finally get it now also, thanks so much. I think the way teej described it you dont need the r an p. That is how i was doing it until now. i hit the (R)ecord, move the faders or pan sliders manually, then when you play back with (p) selected you can see the recorded movement of the sliders on playback.

Right, Dave. That's the way the P&R are supposed to work. Frankly, i've never seen a need for it.

FYI:
For those of you who'd like more advanced envelope fuctions, check out evelopes for effects parameters.

tj

Yo Teej :D,

I asssume then I can apply effects to certain parts of tracks and not the whole length of a track using the effects parameters section of the envelopes?

Yes, you can do it that way; but if all you're concerned with is AMOUNT of effect, use an AUX and draw an AUX Volume envelope instead. Much easier.

You'd use Effects Parameters to adjust the internal settings of a plug... room size in a verb, for example. Frankly, i've used N for over 5 years and have never messed with the Effects Params. I've never felt a need to change a param, i just set up the effect i want within an AUX and draw AUX Volumes instead.

Hope i'm not confusing ya.

tj

hey guys...thanks for the replies. I did figure out what I was doing wrong. It was actually the P & R that helpeed me figure it out.

I was putting a node at the point I wanted to drop, then a node to drag the line down. Seems there needs to be a series of nodes for N to track as it auto moves faders.

Id tried recording fader movements and noticed that it recorded the movements with a series of nodes and not just point to point so I tried adding a few nodes between my segments and wahlah! it worked...this shouldve been explained in the help manual IMO

Interesting. Yes, it seems like that should have been explained better. But like i said, i've never used it.

Glad you got it working.

tj

Back