Help me spend some money!!!

renagade

This is a great site and I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge in the last day or two...I wish I would have found this site 6 months ago...

As far as spending money, I need to buy something for my small home recording studio...here is my gear

Cakewalk Pro Audio
Gateway 512 RAM, 900Mghtz Pent III
M-Audio 2496 Audiocard
Seinhiser MD431 (15 years old)
Berhinger mixer (low end)
Yamaha DGX500 Keyboard

I am one of the pop new age type...lots of vocals and strings...

Of course my first issue is that I am only recording in Analog because of the M-Audio card does not have anyway of playing back the Midi instructions (I found that out the hard way) unless I hook up and play the music back throught the Yamaha, but what if I want to record another track...how can I listen to the first track and record the second at the same time...what software do I have to buy???

What do I buy next...a new computer? upgrade on Cakewalk...maybe one of the experts can help me spend some money!!!

Look forward to meeting everyone out there and once again what a great forum!!

renagade said:
Of course my first issue is that I am only recording in Analog because of the M-Audio card does not have anyway of playing back the Midi instructions (I found that out the hard way) unless I hook up and play the music back throught the Yamaha, but what if I want to record another track...how can I listen to the first track and record the second at the same time...what software do I have to buy???

That's always the case. If you want the sounds of a certain keyboard you have to record the audio output. Cakewalk should be able to handle everything you want to do. Just record the tracks and listen to them as you record the new ones.

renagade said:
What do I buy next...a new computer? upgrade on Cakewalk...maybe one of the experts can help me spend some money!!!

How much money and what else do you want to do? Do you have any monitors?

Texroadkill what a great name!!!

No I do not have monitors, I hope I am not being stupid here...I have a pair of headphone, Sony Studio and just my PC speakers that came with Gateway... do you have a recomendation?

I also have been looking at Sonar 3.0, so much out there...this is going to turn into a full time hobby and a great one!!! As far as money, I am like everyone else I do have a budget, the goal here is be able to produce quality recordings that I could use as demos on internet radio stations and possibly on MP3.com or some similar sites...I know I have a lot to learn before I get to that point, but I have to set some goals.

Thanks for your reply...recording in midi is challenging for me and I know that it records instructions (I have read all the MIDI 101 documentation I can find) however the playback and when I am recording additional tracks I am just learning about...the learning curve between the Cakewalk software and midi, however the benefits are truly great...

By the way some great muscians here, I have listened to a few tracks and I am impressed...

I would definately go with some monitors then. They are one of the most important elements of any recording/mixing studio. There are monitors for all budgets. I haven't bought a new pair in years so I can't really recomend anything specific. If you do a search on 'monitor' or 'cheap monitors' you can get a lot of general info.

Thanks for the information TexRoadKill...I see you have put some serious time into this forum...

In general what is the average experience level in number of years that people have been into Home Recording? I know over the last few years the software has been taking giant leaps!

Homerecording itself has been around since the late 70's when the Portastudios first came on the market. People here vary in experience from complete noobies to 30yrs.

Back