Help me spend some money - SDC's

DeadPoet

carpe diem
Hi,

A friend of me offered me a great deal on a pair of Neumann KM184's .. matched pair, in a box with windscreens and everything. These cost like €800 a piece over here and he could get them for €795 + 21% VAT (which I can tax deduct, 'coz they're business costs for me :cool: )

Can I justify spending as much money on two mics than the rest of my mic locker together ??? This *is* a superdeal, but to me it is also a lot of money ... any comparison vs AKG C451 ?? To be used as workhorse: OH's, guitar, piano, horns,... I've heard the term 'too warm sounding' on the KM184, while I've heard 'too bright' on the C451 as well ...

Rest of mic cabinet:
- SM57 (3)
- Rode NT-1 (2)
- Senn MD-421
- Behrie ECM8k (2)
- AKG C419
- AKG D112
- AKG C391
- Soundcraft Ghost pre's (32)

TIA,
Herwig

I have a pair of the KM184's. They are nice mics, if you're getting a really good deal. They are a bit bright, which is helpful if you're working with dense mixes (at least it works well for me).

It sounds to me that you could get quite a good deal on a set of great microphones. My advice, if *you* can justify it and spend the money, go for it! Yes there are other mics out there that do some jobs better, I love ther AKG 451's for acoustic instruments like acoustic guitar and violin, and it is a great drum overhead mic, but I love the 184 in all the same applications :) It's just another weapon in your arsenal.

Later,
musik

Thanks for the replies all. I'm not a fan of Oktava, SP, Behrie, MXL and all the likes, though I haven't heard any of those yet. It's more of a 'stick to the classics' thing, I'm starting to learn about resale value...

Gonna talk to the wife about these mics... I think she needs to be convinced :D :( :p ;)

Herwig

The Oktava MK012 are pretty nice mics. I think they lean more toward the medium price small condensers in sound.

OK, so medium priced small condensers to me start at around $400 per mic. I'd look at the Josephsons first.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Back