Help me set up my practice space PA (please)

Pirateking

So my band finally made enough money from playing shows to go out and buy a PA so we don't have to run our vocals through a guitar amp any more. We got a decent enough PA with a bunch of channels, phantom power, EQ, tone knobs for each channel, pad, etc. We only got one speaker because our space isn't that big and there are only three of us so we're not insanely loud. But I'm having trouble setting things up so that we can hear the vocals but it doesn't feed back. We usually have to have the mics set up in the middle of the space, so no matter where we put the speaker, it's going to be pointing at at least one mic generally. We tried turning the speaker towards the wall but then we couldn't hear anything. I turned the high end way down on the EQ, which helped, but now obviously the vocals sound kinda muddy. If we get another speaker, would it help, or would the opportunities for feedback just double? We have the speaker elevated a few feet off the ground right now, but would getting one of those stands to elevate it higher help at all? Is there some secret EQ setting that will help? I typically end up spending like 15 minutes each practice fucking with it, getting frustrated, and being in a bad mood the rest of practice.

unfortunately theres no Eq setting that stops feedback, obviously you can turn the top end down but then that screws with the quality of your sound. the only real way i can think of is moving the speaker so its not directly facing the mic. Why dont you have the speaker infront of you facing towards you? That way the mic is facing away from the sound. Just keep them as far as you can away from it, and play around with it. I know how you feel, i had the same problem a bit back but i got it sorted in the end, you just have to move it around until it sounds right and when it does it will be all worth it :)

Good luck!!

Back