Help me pick an Audio Interface

rotren

What kind if Firewire/USB audio interface would you recommend for me? I would like to do decent demos of my compositions. Doesn't have to be pro quality in the end. I am on a budget.

I have no mixer. I'd like to record with at the most 2 mics, so I need something with built in mic preamps. I will use Groove Agent for drums. I'll record bass, guitar, keyboards and vocals separately - no need for many simultaneous inputs. I would of course like low latency. I will need one MIDI I/O for some keyboard entry.

I have a P4 1.5 Ghz and a 60 GB hard drive that new and fast. I have 256 MB RAM but I plan to get 512 more. I currently have a Soundblaster with KX drivers, and it's working, but I don't have any mic preamps.

Would the M-audio 410 do the trick, or do you recommend something else?

Would it be advisable to get a PCI card and a separate mixer or separate mic preamps?

Thanks for helping,
Robert

Will the US122 do a good enough job so that I don't get too much latency problems? I don't have USB 2 on my computer.

rotren said:
Will the US122 do a good enough job so that I don't get too much latency problems? I don't have USB 2 on my computer.

It's not a USB 2 box anyway. I've never had latency problems on mine, and I run an old 750MHz PC.

M-Audio recently introduced a similar product, the Fast Track Pro that's also $200.

Back