help me (midi retarded)

vitamin worm

ok,

on the recomendation of a few people here in this forum i purchased an EMU vintage keys synth module.

unfortunately the person i purchased it from (on ebay) failed to tell me that before he put it up on ebay the internal battery died. for those not familiar with the vintage keys model, it has 59 presents in ROM and another 280+ in RAM. when he changed the battery, all of the presets in RAM were lost.

now, i called the guy a little disturbed by this. it is my first experience with midi and synths so you can imagine how badly i wanted NOT to pay $350 for something that doesnt even work.

ok ... i will get to the question now:

the patches are available online in Sound Driver Library (.LIB) and Sysex (.SYX??) files. He told me that i had to only play these files into the module as i would through a sequencer and the patches would magically appear back in the module.

well i took the files down to the college i attend and tried for about 4 hours to play these files and nothing happened.

my questions are:

1. What process would i use to put the files from a computer into the module?

2. What program would i use to play these files (i tried using Qubase and it didnt work)

3. Is there any particular mode the module must be in to accept these new presets.

i read through the manual and unfortunately it is very vague when it comes to this process. so come on guys, time to help me so i can stop crying myself to sleep at night :(

thanks,

-vw

I assume you have a new battery in it so it will remember the new patches.

I did a quick search on the Internet intending to look for the manual for Vintage Keys. But right away I found this page which has a download utility. I would think that this download utility would be the best way to download the patches. There are also some instructions there. Take a look at this and if you have any questions post another message. (it sounds like you don't have your own computer so it must be a hassle for you to download the patches.)

Back