Help me identify weaknesses or overpowering tendencies in my composing

Mistral

RyosaMusic
I've been writing and recording music for a pretty long time now, and it's come to the point where I need to feel like I'm still actually growing and progressing and not at risk of just never really gaining a larger audience because I am boring them.

Admittedly, the frequency of my output has been pretty spotty, and unfocused for that matter. So there's that. But taking all that into account, let's say for the moment that I want to focus more in the future on instrumentals, perhaps themes for video games and the like, rather than the rock and metal I've done in the past, cause I have no worries about getting fans there. Let's approach this with that in mind.

I'm looking to identify weaknesses specifically that might be largely caused by being self taught. Is that apparent when you hear my material? Is there any overarching pattern of sticking to noobish or simplistic scales and progressions? Keeping in mind that there are obvious instances where I am making nods to a certain genre or era of music, such as with the 8 bit "chiptunes".

If you feel so inclined, listen to however many you feel like - though more would obviously help me get a better rounded opinion. Thanks.

(2014)

Nothing wrong with those pieces, they kind of what they are. Most likely would be used for documentaries or in sound libraries.

To rate them without knowing what they are attached to is kind of fruitless, they have a purpose.

Overpowering weaknesses? Nothing really. Not overly exciting and kind of all sound the same. But if put into the proper setting they might do just fine.

not crazy about the old school saw kind of synths, could be a bit brighter in sound. Not bad stuff though

thanks. well in what way do they sound the same. in terms of progressions and structure? that was my primary question.

they are mostly all for retro or adventure games and written with that in mind and that is responsible for the choice of sounds.

meaning that if somebody were asked to identify which song is which, they wouldnt be able to. You were asking as if this was your album.

But knowing what it's intended for, it could work fine for a video game

Back