help me get that sound

jonjon123

Hi all,

I just watched satriani live, and was wondering how he gets that long sustain to his notes.

I use a les paul, have the rp300, but cant seem to get that clean, sustain-forever crunchy sound.

would a compressor sustainer help?

maybe,

but the smooth santana tone comes from his mesa boogie mark (don't which he uses but the IV can deliver that sound) shell out serious cash ...

Guhlenn

John, you are talkin about Joe Statriani right?
A compressor will definately work wonders for sustain.

When Santana was playing Les Pauls and SG-2000's his sustain lasted for freakin decades! (also due to the Mesa eh Guh ;)) When he moved over to PRS's his tone and sustain changed. I personally like the old "pre- PRS" tone better.

(ducking from stompboxes and guitar cases being heaved at me):rolleyes:

JONJON, SURELY YOU MUST UNDERSTAND.....

That he's playing at about 115db, and that volume is accounting for about 75% of his sustain...........

if you want that sound, have some hot humbuckers, and good amount of power tube saturation (rp300 just ain't gonna get it) and some serious volume.

to fake it at low volumes, a compressor and some good eq will get you closer........

There is a site on the web that shows his live rig---all 3 from the G3 tour. You could do a search on his site or Guitar player sites. It has videos of his gear.

He does not use the Marshal's distortion--only as a power amp--his sound is from cheap little stomp boxes. So to say that his sustain is coming from volume just is not correct. Feedback yes--true sustain no.

AND TO IGNORE THE FACT THAT HE PLAYED LOUDER THAN GOD.........

Well, that's misleading too.......

yes, anyone who has spent 10 minutes with a distortion box and compressor already knows these things....... (or should.......)

but sheer volume does make a difference......

Here's my recipe for "Satch Boogie."

Strat type guitar into distortion pedel, tone around 50%, level about 60% and gain all the way up. Next, flanger set the level at 100%, speed about 20% depth at 100% and regeneration at 100%. The delay is set for a number of repeats. The mix controil keeps the repeats low when set at 15%. The delay is set in time with the music at about a 3rd of a second, 85% to 90%. Finally, a stereo chorus adds delay and stereo spread for a stereo setup, so its speed is set at 0% for a very low sweep across a broad width at 50%.

Try it out!

Back