Help me Design my Space

fenderguy4life

Looking for suggestions on how to setup my space. It's a loft. I'm not quite happy with the acoustics. I'm recording guitar, vocal, electric guitar - all with a Shure SM57 and SM58. I'm at a loss. I've moved things around quite a bit, just can't seem to get it. Is this just a bad space for recording? I hear everything from downstairs. What would be a good way to arrange everything?

RecordingSpace004_zps445d3164.jpg

Last edited:
First thing you'll need to do is invest in some acoustic treatment for you walls, I would move your desk to the opposite wall and postion it in the middle, so your speakers are equal distance from wither side wall, you will have a problem with the window as it's likely to be at a first reflection point but you could make an abosrber on a stand that you can place there.... As for when your recording, try and make some moveable absorbers that you can position around you when your recording, If your recording acoustic guitar try recording while sitting at the top of the stairs.... But definately you need acoustic treatment.... There's lots of videos on you tube about how to postion yourself in a room...

Thanks for the reply. I went into my bedroom walk-in closet with some older recording gear last night. Struggled a bit with the equipment but was pleased by the overall sound of the acoustics. Its definitely too open in the loft for recording acoustic guitar finger style with a lead and vocal. I'm thinking about making some kind of booth in the loft. Even dense carpeting or blankets hung or draped would help I think. I really don't wanna have to setup in the closet. Who knows though? Maybe I will! Easier to control a smaller space, right? I really appreciate your reply.

Back