help me decide and choose a mic

livepast00

so as of right now im using a at4040 mic with my new preamp UAD 710 TWIN-FINITY, the preamp made my at4040 super sensitive to the bass frequency in my voice and it increased the sibilance and pops when i record my vocals/w pop screen on, im thinking of purchasing a new mic and need some suggestions/recommendation on mics thats doesnt pick up the bass frequency in my voice

my budget is 100-300$

these r 2 mics im considering to look into as of right now and open to others

-at2020
-akg perception 120/p220

THANK YOU!

Have you tried using the EQ switch on your AT4040 or EQing out the bass frequencies after you record? I'd experiment with EQ, as well as standing different distances away from the mic when you're recording so you can manage the proximity effect.

If you choose to get a new microphone, my understanding is that AT4040 the AT4040 is better than the AT2020, so unless the AT2020 has some feature you really want, I would go for something better.

Hey, first off if you add a pop filter it shouldnt make pops worse, its purpose is to filter them out. Maybe you have it to close to the mic capsule? If there is to much bass in your voice try rolling off some of the low end, around 80-100 and possibly cutting some of the 200-400 hz range which will make your voice sound boxy/boomy. Or even simpler move the mic further from your mouth (proximity effect, :) as long as its not omni-directional). As far as sibilance a desser or some eq cutting will help take out some of that.

As far as mics go I just bought a blue bluebird which works great on just about everything. I picked up mine for around $260. I also have a shure SM27 which sounds great to they go for about 300.

yeah I have an at4040, its not a bad mic. Spend some time workin on your mic placement before you go blowing a bunch of money and ending up with the same problem. Good gear does not necessarily make good recordings, good technique is essential though.

yeah I have an at4040, its not a bad mic. Spend some time workin on your mic placement before you go blowing a bunch of money and ending up with the same problem. Good gear does not necessarily make good recordings, good technique is essential though.

Absolutely. :)

Absolutely x2

If you're having problems with an AT 40 series mic, the problem is most likely NOT the mic. My first thought was proximity effect (a bump in low mids due to close proximity of the sound source--your voice--to the mic) as was mentioned. It's possible your new preamp revealed an area needing improvement in your micing technique. I'd recommend simply moving back a bit and experimenting with distance--you've got a perfectly decent mic there.

Back