Help me deceide on recording program

gwayms

I think I am going to buy Cubase SE3 (i think that is what it is called) today, anyway are there any better programs in this price range $100.00. I am recording on my laptop (2.0 centrino, 512 ram, 40 gb) with an M-Audio USB mobile pre. Right now I am using Mixcraft as the program and beatcraft for drum beats.
I mainly record bass, guitar, vocals and drums or program drums.
I just want a simple but good program. Cubase seems to be the way to go.
Any suggestions?

I use Cubase SX3, and have gotten fantastic results as an amateur. I record acoustic guitar, electric guitar (direct-in through plug ins), bass (direct in) and vocals. I program drums and use samples as well.

I find it generally easy to learn, and advanced enough to succeed.

Look into Reason as well, I make fantastic beats with it.

Adobe Audition/Cool Edit pro used to suck because it didn't support ASIO but the new Adobe Audion 2.0 supports ASIO now and Its easy to use.

dbeanerz said:
I use Cubase SX3, and have gotten fantastic results as an amateur. I record acoustic guitar, electric guitar (direct-in through plug ins), bass (direct in) and vocals. I program drums and use samples as well.

I find it generally easy to learn, and advanced enough to succeed.

Look into Reason as well, I make fantastic beats with it.

Reason is good for Rap music beacause the samples sound sooooooo good but for flexibility I use FL Studio because I can ramdomize certain sounds to get a realistic effect when using drums, I use the samples from Drumkit from Hell on my drum tracks they have like 30 different samples for the snare and all the other drums so I can use say 12 in FL studio and randomize. No one can tell the difference.

FL is for noobs. and you gotta agree with that. If you're dealing with Reason, you have to be knowledgeful about external equipment as well. For example, you will encounter mixer routing and other complex device to device routing etc. You won't even come close to these stuff if you are using FL.

Adobe Audition/Cool Edit pro used to suck because it didn't support ASIO but the new Adobe Audion 2.0 supports ASIO now and Its easy to use.

What has the audio driver to do with ease of use?

GTP Anyone?

Ok. What are your comments about Guitar Tracks Pro 3 by Cakewalk?
Here is what I have discovered.
Track to track sync problems resulting in pitchy or off-beat recordings. Sterile tech support answers for basic easy questions. Help files are useless. Sound card setup difficult. Mixing down to wav or mp3 files has track volume problems. Some audio processes may be unusable.

I am not knocking the product fully - comparatively, GTP3 is better than some.

I think what we need here is a GOOD recommendation for software that really works - skip the $100 limit. Does anyone recommend a software package with a specific sound card that really delivers on a PC?

...quick question if any1 is willing to answer. How do u connect the guitars basses and P.A. to the computer. iev never done it b4, and no1 is replying to my post. Do u have to buy a seperate mixing board???

tripleplexus said:
Ok. What are your comments about Guitar Tracks Pro 3 by Cakewalk?
Here is what I have discovered.
Track to track sync problems resulting in pitchy or off-beat recordings. Sterile tech support answers for basic easy questions. Help files are useless. Sound card setup difficult. Mixing down to wav or mp3 files has track volume problems. Some audio processes may be unusable.

I am not knocking the product fully - comparatively, GTP3 is better than some.

I think what we need here is a GOOD recommendation for software that really works - skip the $100 limit. Does anyone recommend a software package with a specific sound card that really delivers on a PC?

I guess to be fair to GTP3 I should state that I am using a geeky Soundblaster soundcard that Cakewalk claims will cause all my timing problems.

Back