Help me choose- condenser mics

gtar02

I'm looking to add a pair of condenser mics to my project studio. Here are the mics I have so far:
Ev PL-80
Shure sm-58

cheap radio shack mic (never use any more)

Im looking at a pair of mxl v57m's ($49.99 each)
or a pair of 603s ($160 for the pair I think)
I don't want to spend more than $200- I'm a poor college student.

You need to let the professionals (of whom I am not one) know what you are going to be recording... wind, percussion, female vocals, etc.. Everybody pretty much loves the Shure SM57/58s. There are many who appreciate the MXL V67G ($99), and you can get a Studio Projects C-1 for $200.

I can personaly vouch for the Oktavas....Great for drum overheads, percussion, accoustic and I've used them on some vocals too...

thanks
I'm just looking for something for general all around use. Something I could use for overheads on drums, acoustic guitars, maybe some vocals. I'll have to check out the oktava's too

gtar02, Get the Marshall Electronic MXL603SPR... it comes with the matched pair of MXL603S mic's, shock-mounts, and a nice case... and it's under your $200 budget.

just purchased

After some research i made a decision. I just bought 2 oktava mk012s on ebay. they are new in the box- $69 each
Thanks for your help

Those should work fine on the drum overheads and the accoustic guitar. They will only be so-so on solo vocals though. You still might want to fit one of those mxl v57m into your poor college budget. It seems to me that you can get those two octavas and it within the 200 dollar limit.

I would suggests two SM57's. They will last forever and you will never regret the purchase. I like the Beta 57's too, but they are more dough.

memriloc said:
I can personaly vouch for the Oktavas....Great for drum overheads, percussion, accoustic and I've used them on some vocals too...

I have oktavas as well. I like them, but to you I suggested the SM57's.

If I were reduced to only a handful of mics I could live without the Oktavas, but it would be much harder to live without the 57's.

I am planning on getting an sm57 soon, but I already have a 58 and the pl80, so I wanted to get some condensers first. I also went to samedaymusic.com to price match the mxl v57m and they did better. I can get it from them for $45 including shipping, but I'll probably wait on that

gtar02 said:
I'm looking to add a pair of condenser mics to my project studio. Here are the mics I have so far:
Ev PL-80
Shure sm-58

cheap radio shack mic (never use any more)

Im looking at a pair of mxl v57m's ($49.99 each)
or a pair of 603s ($160 for the pair I think)
I don't want to spend more than $200- I'm a poor college student.

I must recommend reading the FAQ:

http://www.hr-faq.org

I'm also going to have to throw in this thought: where will you be recording? If your answer is 'dorm room', or 'cruddy apartment', as a poor college student is known to live in, here are some things to think about:

-Condensers pick up much more noise than most dynamics. You'll need a quiet room to get a decent sound. Neighbors and traffic can and will filter through.

-Dorm rooms can have harsh walls and ceilings. Consider investing in some temporary room treatment.

Re: just purchased

gtar02 said:
After some research i made a decision. I just bought 2 oktava mk012s on ebay. they are new in the box- $69 each
Thanks for your help
Be careful with the threading on them. ;)

gtar02 said:
thanks
I'm just looking for something for general all around use. Something I could use for overheads on drums, acoustic guitars, maybe some vocals. I'll have to check out the oktava's too

Trying to find one mic that does everything well may be a futile search. I'd recommend finding the best mic you can afford that really nails one thing that you do. Over time, you caqn add other mics to take care of other specific needs.

Back