Help me build my budget studio!

hollowbodyhound

OK so I'm going to build a HR Studio on a budget. I have a Dual PIII 733 Server which I intend to blow out and install 2k pro, beef up the RAM to at least a gig and make use of those SCSI interfaces that have been taking up space on my motherboard. Sound like a good plan?? Starting with a RODE NT-1A and I'm looking for a Pre right now. Any suggestions in the $200 range? ( been seriously considering the M-Audio DMP-3). My other big issue right now is my sound card. I have a Creative Labs Audigy Platinum. I am not sure how to compare it to the cards that are made for recording. Does it compare? What am I looking for? Wow if can get thes Q's answered I'll be rolling right along now just need that money to rool on in to. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Gus

My favorite LD condenser mics on a budget

Marshall MXLv67 ($79)
Studio Projects C1 ($199)

Preamps

Delta DMP3
Studio Projects VTB1
Joe Meek (wait for the new models)

Soundcard

Delta Audiophile 2496

Hey thanks for the tips Gidge. Really appreciate it, guess I got my manufacturers mixed up unless M-Audio makes a DMP-3 also. haha.

M-Audio makes the Delta line of soundcards, and also makes the DMP3. I think Gidge just got his words mixed :D

travis

Anyone have any thoughts on my workstation set-up or any thoughts on my current sound card? OS recommendations? Dual Processor compatability with popular recording software? Partitioning, SCSI or no SCSI? What to look for in a soundcard if mine is not suitable? etc. Help, I'm drowning in options someone throw me a line.

I would need more of an idea of what you want to record before I would recommend anything....but the audigy platinum certainly sits at the low end of the spectrum.

Audio? Midi? Need for digital interface for outboard gear (ie SPDIF)? How many tracks do you want to record at once? What kind of interface have you got to monitor on ? Speakers? Monitors? Headphones? Do you own an external mixer ? (hihgly recommended).

You have to be specific about what you want it to do musically because the number of options are enormous. You mentioned "on a budget"....well what kind of budget? $1000? $5000? $500?

I want to start recording myself (mostly acoustic) and possibly guest musicians in time. I would like to eventually be able to record at least 4 tracks at once. I plan to purchase a mixer in the future. Any recommendations in the $200-$500 range. This will be an ongoing process but for now I envision a workstation, a small mixer, an asssortment of mics and pres and monitors. I don't see a need for midi. My overall budget for the above mentioned is about $2000. This excludes pieces mentioned in my original post. Right now I'm looking for a pre and a mixer and advice on configuring my machine to handle recording.

Back