Help matching mics

hotpotato

Hi, i'm looking to buy another mic for stereo - micing acoustic guitar. My only condenser is the ADK A-51 (specs below).

I've no idea what to look for to ensure that the stereo sound is not mismatched, so any input would be kindly recieved. I have approx £100 to spend new or second hand.

Cheers, Mark

ADK A-51 Standard Specifications
TYPE: True Condenser Pressure Gradient Microphone
CAPSULE: 1" Diameter, Low Micron, Gold Vapor-Deposited Gradient Design
ELECTRONICS: Low Noise Discrete FET
FREQUENCY RANGE: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
SENSITIVITY: 15 mV/pA 9-36.5 = 1 V/pA
EQUIVALENT NOISE LEVEL: (A-Weighted per IEC 286-4) < 17db Typical
MAXIMUM SPL FOR THD : <0.5% (1 kHz) 130 dB
SWITCHABLE LOW FREQUENCY CUT-OFF : 100 Hz (Internal Switch)
CONSTRUCTION: Heavy Duty Aircraft Grade Machined Brass with Durable Scratch Resistant Anodized Finish
WEIGHT: 470 grams / 1.03 lbs.
DIMENSIONS: 50 x 190 mm / 2" x 7.5"

Generally, if you're after a "stereo" image, then a matched pair of mics is what's recommended. That would mean another one of what you have with very similar frequency response.

Your mic is a large diaphragm - most would recommend a small diaphragm mic for acoustic guitar.

I often use both, an SDC for the main mic around 12 - 14th fret and an LDC somewhere near the bridge. This is using 2 mics on a guitar, I'm not sure that I'd call it "stereo" - however it is quite a common practice.

Read the 2 sticky threads at the top of the list - you'll have a better understanding of how it all fits together.

Personally, I use AKG B451 as an SDC and a 414 as an LDC - there are many many options for your second mic - as I know little about your first one, what type of guitar you're playing, what style of music you're recording, what your recording situation is like and what other machinery you're using, it's difficult to give you anything more by way of recommendation.

Back