Help in various things CEP 2 related

sonicyouth

Hi all, new to this forum but been looking at the site for many many years. Hope you don't mind a few questions. My set up: PC, 1.7gb, 40hd, audiophile 2496 1 in 1 out s/c. 512mb RAM.

Questions:

1. I've been previewing my effects in a logic/cool edit way in the multitrack, really happy with it. But once I'm happy with them, how can I record them onto the track to take up less processor power? Is there a quick way of just putting all the effects and settings you are previewing onto the track?

2. Lately when I've been previewing the tc native reverb, (I'm not sure if you use this) it's just been timing out when trying to go into the effect. Even on the songs that only have 8-10 tracks and use very little processor power.

3. I have a session at the moment, quite simple..ambient kit mix down, few guitars, bass, pedal steel, viola, few vocals nothing intensive and I've got away with far much more before. There is a popping noise like a clip at certain stages! though I have no idea why! all the tracks playing at the time are far below 0 db, I've even took them down to nothing and played the song so the loudest is about -19db and it's STILL click/popping in certain places

As I say all of these problems are new, my hardrive IS starting to get bad sectors so I need a copy of Norton Utils quick. But if you can answer anything to do with the effects, recording on, free processor power then that would be great!

Take care
Mark

Questions:

1. I've been previewing my effects in a logic/cool edit way in the multitrack, really happy with it. But once I'm happy with them, how can I record them onto the track to take up less processor power? Is there a quick way of just putting all the effects and settings you are previewing onto the track?
1. 'Lock' the fx on the channels. You can see this option in the fx part of the track information.
2. Go to waveview and just process and save the fx.
3. For also saving the effect of the 3-band equalizer in each track of the multitrack view; solo that track and mixdown 'everything'. Then save this (on a different name, you can't undo it later!) and insert in multitrack

2. Lately when I've been previewing the tc native reverb, (I'm not sure if you use this) it's just been timing out when trying to go into the effect. Even on the songs that only have 8-10 tracks and use very little processor power.
Don't use it, sorry.

3. I have a session at the moment, quite simple..ambient kit mix down, few guitars, bass, pedal steel, viola, few vocals nothing intensive and I've got away with far much more before. There is a popping noise like a clip at certain stages! though I have no idea why! all the tracks playing at the time are far below 0 db, I've even took them down to nothing and played the song so the loudest is about -19db and it's STILL click/popping in certain places
Could because of several reasons. Install/uninstall, upgrade ALL your drivers, mute every other audio stuff in the windows mixer, and check DMA on your hard drive(s).

Sonic-

After previewing an effect in real-time, the best way to print it to the track is to save the settings as a preset (click add by the preset menu). Then, double click on your track, highlight the whole thing, and go to the effects menu. Then open up the effects you want, find your preset, preview it if you want...then press OK, and the effect is printed to your track. You can undo it if you don;t like it and try again as many times as you want until you save the changes to the wav; the effects are applied non-destructively until you tell it to apply it for good, then you're stuck. You might want to save an uneffected copy, just in case.

I don't use the Native Reverb, but if you mean that you open the effect when you say "trying to go into the effect", your cpu is just refreshing the info with the new track applied. It takes alot of power to open a program. If it times out during the playing of your files, its a different issue. How are you telling how much CPU power you're using? The Windows Task Manager.....?

The click in your session sounds like either a driver problem, or the issue with your hard drive. Try to mix down the file into a stereo wav, and check to see if the pop is still there.

Good luck
Chris

Okay, so F_cksia hit his Submit button seconds before I..sorry about the repetitiveness-

Both ways of applying effects will get the job done, as well

Peace out
Chris

sonicyouth said:
As I say all of these problems are new, my hardrive IS starting to get bad sectors so I need a copy of Norton Utils quick.

No, what you need QUICK is a new hard drive. Mucho pronto.

Modern IDE hard drives don't have bad sectors that the operating system will notice. All drives have slack capacity on them, that the drive electronics transparently manages. Any sectors that are duff at manufacture, or become duff later, are mapped out, and replaced from the spare space.

SMART drives will tell you how healthy they are by telling you this information, e.g. %ge of spare space left, number of times sectors have been remapped.

By the time you see bad sectors and data corruption at an OS level, the drive is shot. It's run out of spare capacity, and you are running on empty. Get out while you can :)

Mike.

An even quicker way to set your effects permanently on your track is to solo it in multitrack view and mix down to new track.

Don't know if this will help with the click, I run CEP 1.2,
but certain processing will add a click to the end of a track.
I usually zoom in and get rid of them with a quick-fade envelope.

Back