Help In Upgrading Mics!!!!!

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
my equipment is listed below. not very good gear but if you goto http://www.myspace.com/creepcorerecords you can hear what ive gotten out of these cheap mics.

ive got $530 CDN to spend but willing to put in more but $600 is my limit.

thinkin of getting an sm57, beta 52 and some kinda LDC mic. plus a mic stand or 2 and maybe a cable or 2. u think they might come with cables?

what do u recommend for an LDC mic? mostly used for vocals or an overhead.

thanks in advance

PS. OR SHOULD I SAVE FOR A FIREPOD? AND A FIREWIRE PORT FOR MY COMPUTER?

A 990 is actually a medium/small diaphragm condenser. Plus it is virtually useless for vocals... trust me I own one. I would say get a V67 for vocals, and if you like the 990 maybe a pair for overheads?

Simon

First off, build your own cables or get someone to do them (I'm in Canada...and I'll do it.) You'll get better cables for waaaay cheaper.

The V67 is a good suggestion, but could I suggest a Studio Projects C1? Also, think about the AKG D112 instead of the beta 52 - I like it better at least. Also. I would say you could use a decent pair of SDC's. If you like MXL look at the 603's. I like my Oktava MK-012The way I figure it...(all figures Canadian)

SM57 - 60-75 used
Beta52/D112 150-175 used
v67 - 60-75 used / C1 175-200 used
pair of 603 175-200 used / Oktava Mk012 250 used

for just what you want you could come in anywhere from 270 to 450. If you get a pair of SDC's too you could be looking at anything between 345 to 700. Remember, you buy it new you'll be paying for it!

These aren't all the possibilities of course. There are lots of options, and 600 is a decent budget to get started...if you're like me it'll just be a start! You'll be hooked and then you'll busking after work and on weekends to save for the new compressor or pre or mic or whatever...

Jacob

Musicians Friend

u think it'd be a good idea to order from Musiciansfriend.com? i hear alot of people on here buy from them and they seem to have good deals

I haven't bought from them, but in comparison I have bought from Music123 (similar prices and idea). Good buys, cheap enough...if it works for you go for it! What are you looking at specifically? (post a link if you can...)

Jacob

maybe instead of a LDC can anyone recommend a good value vocal mic? most of the music i do is screaming and yelling if that helps. (if anyone has heard the band F-Minus's "Suburban Blight" i really like the way the vocals sound powerful on that record)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/50659
it lists the beta52 for $189 and here in town i think its like $230.
which kick mic do u think would be better for a slappy/clicky/punchy bass drum sound?

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the MXL mics. Not much of an upgrade IMO. I would definately second the GT-55. If you want a Beta 52 or D 112, look on E-Bay. You can usually find them cheaper on there. Both are quality mics, I own the 52. You can't go wrong getting an SM-57, although they don't sound terrific if you're using it for vocals, but they come in handy in almost every other application. I will say this, I don't usually recommend buying cheap LDC's, however, I bought a Studio Projects B-1 used at Guitar Center for $50, and it really shocked me. It's no Nuemann, but for retail price of $99 new, I'd definately check it out. Sounds good on acoustic guitar too. Anyway, good luck.

Back