HELP -- I'm In Recording Hell!

kyoun1e

* The Good News:

I just purchased a Denon DRA 395 receiver to hook up my old Klipsch speakers to for my PC. Great. I go to Itunes can hear music. Same with the web.

* The Bad News:

I pull up my GuitarTracks Pro 2 software and some old recordings and nada...nothing. No music.

I'm sure it has something to do with my M-Audio Duo preamp. Right now this is connected only to my pc via USB.

Any ideas what the problem could be? The reason why I purchased the receiver was to hear my recordings with some power. Now nothing.

Frustrated as usual with all this.

Please help.

Thanks.

KY

I don't have guitar tracks, but I'd check the output assignments in the software. Usually when I don't hear any sounds, it's because I'm not routing it correctly.

This is wierd.

I can record a track in GTP 2, but I can't hear it while recording it and can't hear it post recording.

However, I just imported a fruity loops express bass and drum loop and could listen to it in GTP 2...ONLY when my M-Audio Duo preamp was OFF. When I look at audio options my input driver changes from the usb M-Audio Duo to my internal sound card (Sigma Tel Audio).

This is madenning.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma.

I'm thinking I need to somehow connect the M-Audio Due preamp directly to the receiver possibly? Don't see how the M-Audio's output hole (accepts a guitar cable) would go into the receiver (takes monster type cable).

Somebody lend a poor soul a hand.

KY

Guitar Tracks Pro 2 and Win XP DO NOT GET ALONG AT ALL. I spent months trying to get a clean recording out of it. Then I gave up, partitioned the drive, installed linux and ardour, and got on with recording.

They've just come out with GT Pro 3, which might be better. I like what I have, and previous experiences make me *very* wary of trying it.

Are you kidding me?

As a last resort, what's the best recording software for XP? I'm loathe to buy another piece of software, but I may have to break down.

This is getting ridiculous.

This most certainly sounds like a routing problem. Particularly with 2 sound cards.

Which sound card is the Denon and your speakers connected to?

You say you can hear music from other sources. What is the playback device for those sources (e.g., Windows Media Player)? What sound card is set as the "default" in Windows?

What is the output assignment of of your tracks in GT Pro?

My guess is that you are routing the GT Pro output to the wrong sound card. A pre-amp should have nothing to do with playback. That is for input.

Dachay,

The Denon (and speakers) is connected to my PC via a monster cable...not connected directly to the M-Audio Duo. So, I guess the Denon is using the internal sound card to play mp3s, sound from the web, etc. For example, I can listen to mp3s via Itunes or through windows media player.

As for the output driver for GTP, when I turn on the M-Audio it's the Duo. When I turn it off, the output is my internal sound card (Sigma Tel).

Here's a new wrinkle. I just put my headphones on and I can hear the recordings in GTP. For the life of me I can't get this through the speakers though. Even before I hooked up the receiver and speakers I could never hear my GTP recordings through my tini laptop internal speakers.

KY

Dachay,

One more thing...I just looked in my windows control panel and the current default audio soundplayback and sound recording default is the M-Audio Duo via USB...not the internal soundcard.

Now, when I turn the M-Audio off, those same settings go back to my Sigma Tel internal audio card.

I'm totally confused.

KY

Hey, KY. I like your jelly. :D :rolleyes:

Just a thought, since I don't know the M-Audio Duo at all... In my soundcard's (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) control panel, there's a Speaker Mode dropdown in the Output Configuration. To switch between listening on headphones connected to my computer and my computer's speakers, I have to go there and pick "Headphone Rear", "Headphone Front" (depending on which jack I've plugged them into), or "2 Speaker". Perhaps, the Duo has something like this, which would explain why you hear stuff through the headphones but not the speakers.

:)
-Jeff

I FIGURED IT OUT! THERE IS HOPE FOR ALL!

Here was the problem(s):

(1) My M-Audio Due had to be connected directly to my Denon receiver
(2) I had to then set the Duo as my default soundcard within a) the pc control panel, and b) within GTP 2.

I essentially needed to make the Duo my soundcard.

Thank god.

Now I can focus on rock.

Thanks all. You got me where I needed to go.

KY

Back