Help...I'll try to be specific

Jagular

OK guys....I'm making my Christmas list up. One of the options I would like to give for gifts is a new mic/mics. I am currently micing only my voice and acoustic guitar (Martin HD-35). I am currently using only one mic for vocals & guitar. It is an AKG C 535 EB. I'm looking to stay under $200. What direction would you go?

Some choices I have thought about.

1. Matched pair of mxl 603s for the guitar.

2. Studio Projects C-1 for vocals

3. Studio Projects B-3 for vocals & maybe guitar

4. Or other suggestions as well based on what you hear in the vocal & guitar tone.

To get an idea of how my voice and guitar are coming out now you can check out "Where The River Flows" (finger picking) and "What Would Jesus Do?" (strummed with pick). http://www.nowhereradio.com/johnscott/singles

These tracks are not eq'd, just compressd & verb (a little). I was hoping if you could hear a sample it might help the thought process. The guitar is a combo of the mic and the LR Baggs Dual Source panned about 40% R & L at approximately equal levels.

I'd just be interested in what direction you would head.

Thanks in advance

The Marshall MXL603S's are one of my favorite cheap budget mic's for miking acoustic instruments like guitar.

I think a matched pair of 603s with case and shockmounts would be the highlight of your Christmas--and long thereafter. Then you can start planning for a vocal mic for your birthday.:D

Thanks guys. It seems like it may be unanimous :D

My main instrument at this point is my voice. Unfortunately, a choice of a relatively inexpensive vocal mic is a lot more difficult choice IMO. I think you guys are right. Can't hardly go wrong with the MXL-603s. Where I could get a SP C-1 and not like it. Plus I'm getting reasonably good results on my voice with the C 535 EB. I'm just always wondering how much better it could be with a different mic, but...I suppose with the Audio Buddy, it may not matter that much :D. I suppose I could ask for a DMP3 or VTB-1 too :D.

I also want Sonar 3 Producer (upgraded from 2.2xl). I think I'll give the option of Sonar 3 & the MXL-603SSP. That way I can be surprised. Then I can start reseaching a vocal mic for next Christmas :D

Decisions decisions :D

I know it's kind of a tough question with no guaranteed right answer, but based on the sample of my vocals above, do you think there is any particular direction in vocal mics I should be looking at when I start auditioning them?

Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate the insight.

Back