Help identifying low end rumble in mic recordings

Giovanni_roses

Hey everybody, I have been experiencing a strange low end rumble in my mic recordings that I'm trying to identify the cause of. Recording using a Rode Procaster into a cloud lifter and then a GOXLR. I have attached a test audio sample and as you can hear in the first segment, there's a strange low end rumble that can really be heard when using speakers/headphones with a lot of bass. In the second sample (part of the same file), I cut out 125hz frequency a little bit and the rumble definitely reduces.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yigs4cycuaz9g00/Comparison.wav?dl=0

Any idea what could be causing this? Thank you

If you want us to hear the 'rumble' (which would be a lot lower than 125Hz), just record it with no voice over and no EQ. I didn't hear a thing. As you mention 125Hz, I would guess you are getting a 60cycle hum with its 2X harmonic from some gear.

I think it's more that my voice is way too overly bassy/reverberating, but if I connect the goxlr to my laptop, it doesn't have the same issue at all. It seems to only be an issue on my desktop pc

As suggested, record without speaking and compare. There's what I suspect is a bit of proximity effect at work in the recording, so that doesn't help.

What kind of mic stand are you using? Without a suspension mount, its pretty common for LF content to travel through the stand directly into the mic, and if your desktop is near the mic it could be generating a LF vibrations from fans and hard drives. If the *only* thing you change when going to the laptop is moving the XLR plug from the desktop to the laptop, and everything remains the same, then it could be electrical. I don't really see or hear the 60Hz electrical hum, and I don't see a big difference in that area between the two parts of the recording, just some flattening of the hump around that 125Hz area, likely from EQ.

Last edited:
Also PLEASE post the next clip as a 320k MP3? Otherwise I have to record it then bounce it to Samplitude to turn it into a 16 bit .wave and then stuff it into Right Mark Analyser and I can't be arsed!

Hum, if 60(50) Hz can only come from direct induction from a transformer or possibly wiring. Power supply hum i.e. ripple with be 120(100) Hz and its harmonics. Rumble can travel through a mic cable. BBC MO is to tie a loose 'knot' at the XLR to decouple external vibration. You also need a very flexible cable.

Dave

I've had a look in audition and there is nothing in there I can identify as a weird low end rumble - there is plenty of energy at the bottom, but the audio is very harsh and not remotely smooth. These mics are usually warm, smooth and typically dynamic sounding. Yours sounds quite processed or just peaky? Something a little strange is happening here - what is it like without the cloud lifter? I'm wondering of you're just overdriving the mixer gozmo you're using? Low end rumble, I'm afraid, I don't hear at all?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 17.24.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 17.24.53.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Back