Help!!! I want to learn the correct way!

imuse1

Hello All,
Iam 1/3 of a production team. We have been partners only since Mar 2005. We have learned by trial and era and some digging in the manuals. The only problem with the manuals is if you do not understand the terminalogy, they don't assist you in any way. Since Mar we have learned alot but I feel if we learn the correct way it would benefit use emensely.

O.K with all that said here is my delema. I would like to setup or equipment so it works to benefit use better.

Here's our equipment:
Motif ES 6
MPC 1000
KORG d1600mkII
Mac mini
M Powered Protools
M Audio firewire 410
mic
Turntable and mixer
Usb midi controller

Now what I would like to do is use the Motif as the main and the MPC as the slave or vice versa, which ever is better. Then connect thru the korg and then into the firewire.

Can some1 help us? Thanks for any input

Your mac should be the master if your going to be using PT but if you want to use the hardware sequencer connect the midi out of the motif to the midi in on the MPC and that should be it. I would use the Motif sequencer to trigger sounds, don't use the MPCs onboard sequencer unless you really need to (and then it will need to be set to slave). Connect the MPC thru to the recorder and make sure the Motif is sending MTC and read up on MMC in the motif manual

o.k thanks ...Now I can do that but my partners are not up to speed on all the equipment....I'm just getting comfortable with protools. I didn't even know I could use protools as the sequencer. We were only going to use it for editing and mixing. That opens up some possibilities. If I use Protools as the sequencer, I would have to midi all the hardware? I thank you for your help. :)

altitude909 said:
Your mac should be the master if your going to be using PT but if you want to use the hardware sequencer connect the midi out of the motif to the midi in on the MPC and that should be it. I would use the Motif sequencer to trigger sounds, don't use the MPCs onboard sequencer unless you really need to (and then it will need to be set to slave). Connect the MPC thru to the recorder and make sure the Motif is sending MTC and read up on MMC in the motif manual
why would you say not to use the mpc as the sequencer..thats the mpc strongest asset.why even use an mpc if you aint gonna sequence on it.

altitude909 said:
Cause he has a motif with a full blown sequencer.
I guess it depends what kind of music you make but if he is making rap,R&B then you wouldnt use the motif seq.I got both and I use the mpc3000 seq,battlecat got both he use the mpc3000 seq,not to say do it cause of them...but there is a reason.

Why would you use an outboard sequencer when there is built on and made for the motif?

If he had a 3k then I would tell him to use it, but he does not. The 1k is a fairly distant cousin of a real mpc. Plus the ES sequencer is expanded and the Motif has 32 times more memory than the 1k out of the box. Dont get me wrong I love Akai, (I have been known to dry hump my mpc) but the 3k is a 11 year old sequencer and yes you can crank shit out on it but I hit the ceiling with what I could do with my mpc2k pretty quick and thats why I sequence with software now. The Motif is a workstation first, a synth second and the 1k really is not even in the same class

One thing I have to add for Imuse is to USE THOSE AKAI PADS AS INPUTS TO THE MOTIF. They are top notch for laying down drums or just using as triggers

Back