HELP....I dropped the mic.

WreakHavocMusic

I recently bought a CAD GXL2200. I had it on my stand but it accidentally fell. Now the grill is dented. Anybody knows how I can go about fixing this? Please help. Thanks

I haven't opened that particular mic, but I've opened several mics that are very similar. I'd expect it to be pretty simple:

Unscrew the bottom and slide the tube part of the case off.

You should now see the screws that hold the basket on. They're on the underside of a metal plate. Be sure to unscrew only the outer screws. The ones near the center of the plate hold the capsule mount in place. :)

Once you take out those screws, the headbasket should just slide off vertically. Be really careful not to damage the capsule; pull the basket straight off.

Next, use a spoon or something to press out the dent, then put it back together.

Drumsticks are one of the best tools ever to get dents out of mic grills.

Which is somewhat ironic considering how they're usually guilty of inflicting said damage.:cool:

If space is at a premium, running things from the ceiling can solve a lot of issues. Not typical hardware, and it implies a relatively low ceiling, but still.

BITD, a broom stick with some duct tape or other soft-ish coating to push out dents. Keeps it from scratching the metal things. Worked alright for my old trombone when it fell over and got a stand dent in the bell section. Not that they make broom sticks out of wood anymore. I guess a drumstick would be a more common "wood" item in the modern home. Some manufacturers let you buy replacement grills if you want perfection.

If space is at a premium, running things from the ceiling can solve a lot of issues. Not typical hardware, and it implies a relatively low ceiling, but still.
From a $3 flange and a few flexable $5 goosenecks...I have a guarantee there wont be a mic hitting the floor...and its about $150 less then the big stand and the boom that seem to have failed the OP and almost wrecked his mic.

Back