HELP. Home recording set up question!

celebraden

Hey guys,
New to the site! Anyways, I've been messing around with home recording (always loved doing it growing up) and I've started to get more serious with it. When I was younger I got a Tascam DP-02CF Digital Portastudio for one of my birthdays. At the time I thought it was awesome to just be able to track guitars and such and not create anything too amazing. As I got older I started to switch to recording using a computer and became more fond of doing so. Lately I have just been running my guitars and mics directly into my Macbook using USB cables, which has worked fine thus far, however sometimes I run into trouble. I am considering buying an audio interface (or even possibly a mixer) to make recording easier by controlling the input volume. That being said, I was wondering if I could use the Portastudio mentioned above as a pseudo interface. My plan was to plug the instrument into the portastudio and use RCA cables. The RCA cables would connect to something such as a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB-Audio Interface and then connect it to my computer via USB connection. Would this work? Or should I just spend the money for a interface?

Thanks!

If the Tascam doesn't have USB -- and considering that you are getting more serious with home recording -- I would suggest that you can't go wrong with a basic audio interface in the $100 to $150 range, like a Scarlett, Presonus, or other popular brands in that price range. Don't spend a lot of time researching it. Just set your budget, browse some reviews, get something, and get back to work! We all have a tendency to get gear-headed but with an intro level interface in that price range, I don't think you need to over-shop. I have a Scarlett and it's great for my purposes. Very happy.

You would have seen more replies if you had put this into the newbies section of the forum rather than the 'gear review' section.

CelesteMac has it right - go for a decent audio interface, you can get one for as little as $99-$149 if you only want 1 or 2 inputs. It'll give you better recording and monitor capabilities.

Back