Help! Hard Disk Full???

Masala

Ok, here is the situation;

I set up my 1680 to record my band. We did about 50 minutes of recording on 8 tracks, at which point I erased about 15 minutes of BS to make sure we had plenty of memory left for a final couple songs. So, we started recording agian and I got the message 'Hard Drive Full low memory' or something like that. This made no sense as we had JUST recorded 50 minutes worth of stuff, I erased 15 minutes , but THEN I am out of memory??

What gives?

You need to move some of your recorded material to another form of storage. I currently use a Zip drive (100 MB). You should also be able to archive to some other form of media. I don't know the capabilities of the 1680. I own an 880 which allows me to archive to dat (don't own one). I would suggwest that you consider the 250 mb Zip drive for the 1680 since I have come close to filling a 100 mb disk with an eight track song. Hope this helps.

Don't know if this applies here, but did you optimize the song in order to make sure what you deleted wasn't stored for Undo? I have to optimize the song on my 880 in order to actually recover the space.

50 minutes/track X 8 tracks...

means you've actually recorded 400 minutes worth of tracks. The amount of recording time you have depends on which recording mode you use and how many tracks you record at once. Quite different from an analogue tape recorder. With, say, a 30-min. 8-track tape you get 30 min./track. Not so with harddisk recorders.

I'm not sure how much recording time a 1680 hdd partition gives you but remember this: The total amount of recording time remaining is divided by the amount of tracks you wish to record at once. For example, my 880EX gives me approximately 540 min. of recording time in MT2 on one partition. If I was to record 8 tracks I'd have around 67.5 min. recording time for each track.

Jon X is right about Optimizing as well. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks. Optimize did the trick! I didn't think about that, but when I was cutting 15 minutes off thinking I was freeing up memory, I really wasn't because the 1680 still stores it till you optimize.

Problem solved..thanks again!

GOOD HARD DRIVE!

I mentioned this in a reply to another question,but the ORB external SCSI is great......it has a 2.2 gig cartridge,and is really reasonable.They retail for $199.00 WITH a cartridge,and I got mine for $148.00 online.They work very well,and it's beats the heck out of a JAZ (gag) and a zip.

Back