Help! - getting started

BluesJunkie

I've had a Tascam 424 for about 10 years but haven't used it much, because I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm really itching to start recording, but I'm not sure what all I need or how to go about it.

I have a lot of questions/issues that maybe should be separate threads, but maybe y'all can help me out anyway.

1. I've always had trouble with noise when using the Tascam. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use a mic or go direct through a POD, I still get tons of noise. I'm not talking about slight amount. I get mega noise that makes the recording almost unlistenable. I've tried different line levels while recording but still get basically the same result. Is this a general problem with tape recorders that a digital recorder would fix, or am I doing something wrong?

2. I'd like to go digital anyway, so I can easily burn cd's, make mp3s, etc. Is there any way to mix down from the Tascam to my computer?

3. If the answers to #1 & #2 are "lose the 424 and go digital", what would you recommend? Should I start out on the computer? If so, what do I need to get to start recording.

Or, should I buy a small digital studio like the Fostex MR-8 or Tascam Pocketstudio to learn with? If so, what would you recommend? I like the specs on the MR-8, but I'm not sure I want to have to spend another $100 for a decent sized memory card for such a cheap unit. Also, I heard that the mixdown doesn't allow much user interaction.

Anyway, I know I've got a lot of questions, but I'm totally confused here. Any input y'all could give would helpful.

Thanks.

bluesman,
you can still have fun with your tascam.
you could go straight to computer based recording, but that means software and hardware upgrades for the most part.

lets deal with this noise problem, it must have something to do with your gain structure. analog tape has a hiss to it, but it shouldn't be any worse than what you would hear from a cassette boombox.

with a mic, plug it in and set the fader of the track to zero, then use the trim to adjust the level. i remember the meters on the 424 being yellow on bottom and red on top. so you want the level on the meter to be all the way yellow most of the time, and have peaks in red, but not red all the way to the top for any length of time.
when listening make sure the master fader is at zero too.
for your POD, have the master set to a decent level, at least 2 o'clock on the dial. now the POD is going to need less gain then the microphone, so turn down the trim

i certainly wouldn't discourage you from going digital, but a standard soundcard (in a PC you haven't upgraded) only has two channels and right now you have four. you could get some cheap software and be up and running in no time.
but hey, you've got some gear, use it!

forgot about mixing down to PC, sorry
you'll need RCA cables and an adapter to go from RCA to 1/8" stereo plug to connect to the soundcard.
you'll need some sort of program to record it to, although you could just use the Windows Sound Recorder if you wanted to, but that is REALLY basic.
anybody know some shareware wave editers?

Thanks, man.

Every time I've recorded I've used some mix of the trim and faders, so that may be my problem.

There's one more issue with the Tascam, though. My cassette deck that I used to mix down to is broken. So, even if I keep using the Tascam, I'm going to have to buy new gear.

it's not that you have to keep the faders at zero, here's a better explanation.

the trim is like the rough setting, then the fader kinda fine tunes the gain.

so if the fader is at zero, it's not adding or subtracting from the gain.

so feel free to play with the faders, but if you crank your trim and have your fader way down there, you are adding a lot of extra noise

you can mixdown to PC without any hardware upgrades,
do you have a computer?

Yeah, I've got a computer, and I've used the Windows sound recorder to record short guitar clips. But, I couldn't figure out how to get it to record more than a minute. Is that its limit?

What kind of software would I need to get to mix down from the Tascam? Also, will a regular soundcard work for this, or will I need something special?

i think you are right, the limit will be one minute.
for a stereo mixdown, whatever soundcard that came with the computer will work, if you decide you want to do multichannel recording on your PC, you will want to look into a new card.
but i'm still using my stock card until i can afford a new one.

there is some free software out there, it might be a demo version, but you can get your feet wet for free.
check this site out http://www.audiomelody.com/AudioEditors.htm
try Cool Edit 2000 or go to Adobe.com and get the demo of Audition (the newer version of cool edit which was bought out buy Adobe).
all you have to do is arm two tracks and set the inputs for the left channel on one track and the right channel on one. and hit record
record your mix, hit mixdown and viola! a stereo wav file you can save and burn to CD with cd burner software or even the newest version of Windows Media Player (also free).

Back